By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hopefully objective review of gaming controllers

scottie said:
@ spectrumglr - the PS3 has 4 analogue buttons, up, down, left and right that the 360 does not, the 360 has an analogue d pad, which the PS3 does not.

The 360 analogue sticks are buttons too? *edits*

the d-pad is NOT analogue...and the directional buttons of the PS3 aren't analogue either.

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

Around the Network

Hahaha, PC win!
Mouse + kbd > everything else for FPS
+ You can use Xbox360 controller with your PC for what Mouse + kbd is not best.

Spectrumglr said:
scottie said:
@ spectrumglr - the PS3 has 4 analogue buttons, up, down, left and right that the 360 does not, the 360 has an analogue d pad, which the PS3 does not.

the d-pad is NOT analogue...and the directional buttons of the PS3 aren't analogue either.

agreed, the d-pad is typically 4 digital buttons. Hence why when you play games you can't move what any angle, only one of 8 directions. In fact, I've never seen an analog d-pad, as it would really be a joystick with a + drawn on top.

However, each of the face buttons on the right hand side of the PS2/3 controller are actually analog buttons, not digital buttons. Most people don't know this, as no games use it.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

What is the 8 kb of memory in the Wiimote used for?

^ you can save your mii characters on your wiimote. other than that i'm not too sure.

i'm not sure why you opted to use that scoring system in the event of a tie. could you explain?

Around the Network
nordlead said:
Spectrumglr said:
scottie said:

agreed, the d-pad is typically 4 digital buttons. Hence why when you play games you can't move what any angle, only one of 8 directions. In fact, I've never seen an analog d-pad, as it would really be a joystick with a + drawn on top.

However, each of the face buttons on the right hand side of the PS2/3 controller are actually analog buttons, not digital buttons. Most people don't know this, as no games use it.

None at all? I didn't know that.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

The only comment I have is that I disagree, for me PC controls are superior in many games (strategy, FPS, tactical RPG like NWN and so on) and GC and PS2 controllers are the best I know of to date (except this glorious SideWinder js I had the fortune of testing once with Tie Fighter!).
Of course, preferences are highly subjective so it doesn't really matter than all of us think, some of his prefer this and others that, regardless of feaures/quality/looks and so on.

As for the OP, I think you made a noble effort but your categories just don't make for a good analysis.

I think a comprehensive set of comparative reviews would be more enlightening, even if it may be subjective and might not give a simple "score".

Also, the GC/Xbox/PS2 controllers were actually fairly different IMO.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!