By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So who do you want to run against Obama in 2010?

Kasz216 said:
Final-Fan said:
Kasz216 said:
Final-Fan said:
OK, but your example would REALLY be more like one team is corking bats, so the other team decides to get "even" by corking bats AND going on steroids.

I still don't see that the first team can be blamed for the steroids.
Because the second team wants to keep it's honest players around.  So it takes in only a few players who cork and use steroids to balance it.

But it's infectious.

Instead of having a whole team of cheaters, they only have a few cheaters... until it spreads.

So you're saying that the Democrats were kind of disreputable, so the Republicans compensated by recruiting a few people to be REALLY disreputable while the rest stayed good, only they all went crazy.

I'm sorry but that makes no sense.  I mean, I understand what you're saying, but no.  And that still doesn't address the fact that the second group was bringing in ANOTHER kind of bad behavior.  Even accepting your crazy talk, the Republicans still brought guns to a knife fight, as it were.

Well yeah... a couple guns would even things up in a fight where a large group of people had knives and the other group was unarmed.

In close quarters that may be true.  But in an open field it's a different story.

[edit:  And I'm beginning to suspect you have an awfully rosy view of the old guard Republicans.]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

McCain: I can't promise to support Palin for president

(CNN) -- Sen. John McCain said Sunday he would not necessarily support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

Speaking to ABC's "This Week," McCain was asked whether Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin could count on his support.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors. I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said.

He then mentioned governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

McCain said he has "the greatest appreciation for Gov. Palin and her family, and it was a great joy to know them."

"She invigorated our campaign" against Barack Obama for the presidency, he said.

McCain was pressed on why he can't promise support for the woman who, just months ago, he named as the second best person to lead the nation.

"Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again ... my corpse is still warm, you know?" he replied.

In his first Sunday political TV appearance since November 4, McCain also promised to work to build consensus in tackling America's challenges, and criticized his own party for its latest attack on Obama.

McCain rejected complaints from the Republican National Committee that Obama has not been transparent about his contacts with Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

"I think that the Obama campaign should and will give all information necessary," McCain told ABC's "This Week."

"You know, in all due respect to the Republican National Committee and anybody -- right now, I think we should try to be working constructively together, not only on an issue such as this, but on the economy, stimulus package, reforms that are necessary."

McCain's answer came in response to a question about comments from RNC Chairman Mike Duncan. The RNC also released an Internet ad last week, titled "Questions Remain," suggesting Obama is failing to provide important information about potential links between his associates and Blagojevich.

Blagojevich was arrested Tuesday and charged with trying to trade Obama's Senate seat for campaign contributions and other favors.

"I don't know all the details of the relationship between President-elect Obama's campaign or his people and the governor of Illinois," McCain told ABC. "But I have some confidence that all the information will come out. It always does, it seems to me."

McCain said he, like Obama and many other lawmakers, believes Blagojevich should resign.

Despite the heated nature of the race and attacks both former candidates lobbed at each other, McCain emphasized that he plans to focus on pushing lawmakers past partisan politics.

"I think my job is, of course, to be a part of, and hopefully exert some leadership, in the loyal opposition. But I emphasize the word loyal," McCain said.

"We haven't seen economic times like this in my lifetime. We haven't seen challenges abroad at the level that we are experiencing, certainly since the end of the Cold War, and you could argue in some respects that they're certainly more complex, many of these challenges. So let's have our first priority where we can work together...

"Will there be areas of disagreement? Of course. We are different parties and different philosophy. But the nation wants us to unite and work together."

McCain said he wouldn't comment on whether he thought he had a good chance of winning the presidency, given the Bush administration and the GOP were perceived to be responsible for the economy's problems. McCain said he would "leave that question" for others "to make that kind of judgment."

He pointed out that his poll numbers dropped along with the Dow.

"That would sound like I am detracting from President-elect Obama's campaign. I don't want to do that... Nobody likes a sore loser."

The key to moving past the stinging defeat, he said, is to, "Get busy and move on. That's the best cure for it. I spent a period of time feeling sorry for myself. It's wonderful. It's one of the most enjoyable experiences that you can have.

"But the point is: You've got to move on... I'm still a senator from the state of Arizona. I still have the privilege and honor of serving this country, which I've done all my life, and it's a great honor to do so."

Final-Fan said:
Kasz216 said:
Final-Fan said:
Kasz216 said:
Final-Fan said:
OK, but your example would REALLY be more like one team is corking bats, so the other team decides to get "even" by corking bats AND going on steroids.

I still don't see that the first team can be blamed for the steroids.
Because the second team wants to keep it's honest players around.  So it takes in only a few players who cork and use steroids to balance it.

But it's infectious.

Instead of having a whole team of cheaters, they only have a few cheaters... until it spreads.

So you're saying that the Democrats were kind of disreputable, so the Republicans compensated by recruiting a few people to be REALLY disreputable while the rest stayed good, only they all went crazy.

I'm sorry but that makes no sense.  I mean, I understand what you're saying, but no.  And that still doesn't address the fact that the second group was bringing in ANOTHER kind of bad behavior.  Even accepting your crazy talk, the Republicans still brought guns to a knife fight, as it were.

Well yeah... a couple guns would even things up in a fight where a large group of people had knives and the other group was unarmed.

In close quarters that may be true.  But in an open field it's a different story.

[edit:  And I'm beginning to suspect you have an awfully rosy view of the old guard Republicans.]

Fiscally conservative, everyone being treated equally... (both things neither party ascribes to anymore.)

What's not to like?

As always.  I look at Teddy Roosevelt as the best politician out there by a country mile.  Though he was the "marverick" of his time in some ways... even in the Republican party.

I'm all for the Democrats becoming more fiscally conservative, though I can't say that a recession verging on the precipice of depression is the right time to start switching gears.

I'm for efficient management of government and raising taxes when you have to for the sake of the national debt. Our tax code needs a major overhaul. Way too many loopholes.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Kasz216 said:
akuma587 said:
Alright, well I guess that settles it! Or something.

You forget that I dislike Neoconservatives more then anything is all.  They came to power basically because the democrats were too successful... and the old wing of the democratic party took over the republican party.

Again...

At first you had the good republicans everyone liked.  Fiscally conservative and Freedom for all.

Then the racists took over when the democrats became too powerful and took the minorty support from the republicans... through furthering civil rights legislation (though the republicans i believe did support before the dixiecrats joined) and by the many programs to give money to the poor. (which while having questionable results, money is money.)

The republicans compromised and allowed the Dixiecrats in thinking they would guard the south but not become the leaders.

Sadly they were overtaken... now we have racist fiscally conservative republicans.

Then the democrats went even more to the left... the anti-communist fearmongering part of the democratic party that supported big government but still hated communists (More facist like)....

left and joined the republican party which was declining in popularity again... by playing on fearmongering with the communists.  They had to change some core beliefs... but they got their seat at the table and got to keep what they wanted most.

They took over... and then we ended up with the republican party we have today.... mostly Neo-conservatives.

All in all we kinda lost our political balance as most people headed towards democratic... and the Neoconservatives are the result of that.

And anyone who believes in fisacl responsibility and freedom for all is now a "Crazy Libretarian"

I mean, heck.  the Democratic party is still a third bigger then the Republican party now... even with the Republican party having Dixiecrats, Neoconservatives AND most Conservatives who don't want to be called crazy.

It's why I wish we had a multi party system.... lot better then 2 party system.

Then we could split out the different Republican and Democratic groups and have each one have a chance to actually vote for their views.

As I was reading this I was thinking we need a multiparty system.  And then I came to the bolded.  I agree 100%.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

Instant runoff voting!

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
Instant runoff voting!

Yeah i perfer runoffs to primaries for a great number of reasons.

First of all, Obama wasn't even been sweared-in yet. Lets see what he will do the next four years and then we can talk about who should run against him. Its too early to talk about this.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Snake612 said:
First of all, Obama wasn't even been sweared-in yet. Lets see what he will do the next four years and then we can talk about who should run against him. Its too early to talk about this.

My friend--Have you no knowledge of GOP politics?   :)  Just kidding.  In our party it is never to early.  We actually started the minute after McCain's loss.

Jenna Bush

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.