By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So who do you want to run against Obama in 2010?

Kasz216 said:

No real blame game about it.  Just see no way to get back to the "Good old days." politically.

People seem hellbent on wasteful spending regardless.

Even a depression won't stop them since constant spending is what's supposed to get you out of a depression.

We seem somewhat caught in a loop of crazy spending.

I mean, i'd argue that the Neocons took power... probably with Reagan starting mostly. 

I mean Reagan promised a lot of cuts... one of his and George Bush's big campaign planks was "I will eliminate the useless department of education."

It's still here though... why?  It's a great place to put political lackies.

Because Republicans like to talk more about big government rather than actually do that much about big government.  At least with tax cuts they usually deliver, but with big government it can be a complete mixed bag.  Bush the W. for instance is the first President to break a $1 trillion budget AND the first President to break the $2 trillion mark.  That's just unacceptable coming from the party of supposed fiscal conservatives.

I'm all for rooting out waste and inefficiency in the departments, like Education and especially Homeland Security (which is just one big mess right now with no clear goals).  Independent evaluation of the government from a third party is a must in terms of making the government more efficient. 

I think there are a lot of great government programs and govermental bodies out there that people overlook, but the government should be run more like a business.  I just don't see why it should be any other way.

People often ignore state government's problems too.  State goverments are as inefficient or more so than the federal government (at least nationally, it can vary based on the state).

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

The best way to eliminate waste in Homeland security and Education is to get rid of them both.

They're both redundent departments.

Also i'd like to see where it states that state governments are less efficent than federal governments. Afterall states have actual competitors... each other.

This site will give you all the information you could want about state and federal spending, but it is too complex for me to post on this site very easily:

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
This site will give you all the information you could want about state and federal spending, but it is too complex for me to post on this site very easily:

I'm not seeing where your seeing the state and local governments being more inefficient here but i'll keep looking.

If there are particular figures here that are supposed to be of note feel free.

I am not fond of this particular quiz, but I took it, nonetheless.

Around the Network

Kasz216 said:
akuma587 said:

I'm not seeing where your seeing the state and local governments being more inefficient here but i'll keep looking.

Its too complicated for me to even wade through and extract data averaging out the information from all fifty states, but I no longer have access to the print article I once had that did a great comparison of how much faster state government has grown than the federal government in the last few decades.

My Uncle Dan

4 ≈ One

akuma587 said:

Kasz216 said:
akuma587 said:

Its too complicated for me to even wade through and extract data averaging out the information from all fifty states, but I no longer have access to the print article I once had that did a great comparison of how much faster state government has grown than the federal government in the last few decades.

I still don't see how that gauges their efficencies.

The government growing bigger isn't really a problem in of itself.  It's when the government grows bigger for no good reason.

The real problems with some of the growth in the states is that they have basic problems in their structure... and for whatever reason state governments would rather raise taxes then rewrite legislation in most cases.

Though a decent amount of problems with the state governments is stuff the federal governments mandate.

No Child Left Behind and the Deparment of Education making education costs higher.

Insular laws to protect drug and health companies.

Damn Jackson, you and I are closer than we imagined... you see, miracles do happen.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Kasz216 said:
No real blame game about it.  Just see no way to get back to the "Good old days." politically.

People seem hellbent on wasteful spending regardless.

Even a depression won't stop them since constant spending is what's supposed to get you out of a depression.

We seem somewhat caught in a loop of crazy spending.

I mean, i'd argue that the Neocons took power... probably with Reagan starting mostly.

I mean Reagan promised a lot of cuts... one of his and George Bush's big campaign planks was "I will eliminate the useless department of education."

It's still here though... why?  It's a great place to put political lackies.

Also Ninja Breadman was created by a British Company. So they're more likely to be left leaning then right leaning.

Though admittidly government intervention could have prevented the game from coming out.

I was joking.  Although ... Republicans ~ Thatcherites, so being British is no escape. 

So far, from what you've said, it seems that neocons are greatly to blame for what you are talking about (and I agree with that assessment); I just don't get the 'Democrats are just as culpable and may even have started it' that you initially said.  If we take that part out, I don't think we have an argument here.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!