By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Videogames: Recession Proof?

Even in the light of all these job layoffs and homes going down under, why are videogames selling so well still? Are videogames recession proof? Will the recession hurt sales of the PS3, the most expensive console on the market right now?

Will it help the Xbox, the cheapest on the market?

Around the Network

The market as a whole may even be helped by the recession. During bad times people seek escapist entertainment (as well as different kinds of addictions which are another form of escapism).

Now when we talk about the different players, the story may be different. It's possible the PS3 is getting significantly affected by the recession, though not certain.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I had a huge reply in my mind by the time the page was done loading. Then I realised you didn't mean

Videogames: Proof of recession

But rather that they were recession proof.

Now I'm too shocked to be able to write a reply, thus you are not reading this.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

NJ5 said:

The market as a whole may even be helped by the recession. During bad times people seek escapist entertainment (as well as different kinds of addictions which are another form of escapism).

Now when we talk about the different players, the story may be different. It's possible the PS3 is getting significantly affected by the recession, though not certain.

I'm living proof of that .. I lost my job a month back and I'm spending my last pounds on games when I know I shouldn't be. I have already had my phone cut off yet Lips was calling and now I'm resisting bad for Prince of Persia :(

I think the entertainment industry as a whole is almost recession proof. People need a way to escape everyday concerns so thats why they sell so much.

3DS FC: 4355-9313-6815

Around the Network
seece said:
NJ5 said:

I'm living proof of that .. I lost my job a month back and I'm spending my last pounds on games when I know I shouldn't be. I have already had my phone cut off yet Lips was calling and now I'm resisting bad for Prince of Persia :(

If worse comes to worse you can always sell your games or consoles to get some money back. I recommend not doing it in a rush otherwise you'll get a really bad deal.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
seece said:
NJ5 said:

If worse comes to worse you can always sell your games or consoles to get some money back. I recommend not doing it in a rush otherwise you'll get a really bad deal.

Nooo I love my elite and my games collection! I'm getting the rest of my games bought for me thankfully.

my theory is that instead of spending 1000's of dollars on a vacation to mexico or on a cruise or something, famllies are instead spending their vacation times at home. So $1000 bucks on a TV and videogames would be way cheaper than 4 plane tickets + lodging + food at some resort location.

Recession proof? Likely.

Depression proof? Maybe not. If things continue to deterioriate, I'd expect post-holiday/slow month sales to slow down.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

If anything it will help 360/Wii.

A $200 or $250 console sounds better than $400 during a recession.