By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place been decided for this generation?

A few months ago when the PS3 was consistently outselling the 360, I would have told you that Sony had very good shot at second place. I can't really remember exactly, but I think it was on pace to catch the 360 in early 2010.

Now, I'm not so sure. I want to see how things shake out after the holidays. It's a bit of a cop out, but I'd only give Sony a 50/50 shot at getting second place. The global recession is another factor. It seems to have hit the PS3 the worst, since it is most expensive.

It doesn't matter though. At the end of the generation, neither the 360 or PS3 will gain a big lead over the other. Both consoles will continue to receive muliplats/ports of each other's games. That means that the libraries will remain similar, and there will not be a big loser. This will be a virtual tie.

Of course, first place is locked up by Nintendo.

I'm going to guess that the next generation will start in 2012. I think either Sony or Microsoft will be first out of the gate.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
redspear said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
lol just from a few weeks of good sales for microsoft, everyone is geting excited? microsoft dont have what it takes to beat sony in the long run. they still havnt even beaten ps3 since it released! ps3 sold more last year and it has sold more so far this year and microsoft had to cut prices big time and advertise heavily to start beating ps3 again. maybe the ps3 hasnt really closed the gap much but looking at the price just keeping the gap how it is should do for sony.

And it only took price drops for Sony to do that!

Since launch Sony went from 599-399 or a 200 dollar drop

Since launch the cheapest 360 went from 299-199 or a 100 dollar drop

Yup one of them cut prices big time.

sony only cut the prices like that because they realised the ps3 should have launched at the most $499. only the rich hardcore gamers would be able to afford the ps3 at its launch price and talking about prices, i dont see a any ps3 for $199.

Yes, I still think Sony can make it to 2nd place. A slim model and a price cut to 250 $/€ will be the key. I think both measures won't happen anytime soon, though.

I know there are still people out there that think Nintendo won't be first this gen, but I would be surprised if anyone could threaten them now.

The battle for second place is swinging in Microsofts favor right now, but is not decided yet. A PS3 comeback is still possible.

This is invisible text!

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
redspear said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
lol just from a few weeks of good sales for microsoft, everyone is geting excited? microsoft dont have what it takes to beat sony in the long run. they still havnt even beaten ps3 since it released! ps3 sold more last year and it has sold more so far this year and microsoft had to cut prices big time and advertise heavily to start beating ps3 again. maybe the ps3 hasnt really closed the gap much but looking at the price just keeping the gap how it is should do for sony.

And it only took price drops for Sony to do that!

Since launch Sony went from 599-399 or a 200 dollar drop

Since launch the cheapest 360 went from 299-199 or a 100 dollar drop

Yup one of them cut prices big time.

sony only cut the prices like that because they realised the ps3 should have launched at the most $499. only the rich hardcore gamers would be able to afford the ps3 at its launch price and talking about prices, i dont see a any ps3 for $199.

Uhmm you said MS had to cut prices than you say Sony only had to cut prices. In fact MS had a year long head start and had to cut prices because the market at that price had become saturated something that occurs naturaly.

Sony had to cut prices early see a sales spike watch the spike dwindle again and then cut prices and is now watching the spike dwindle again.

The GC sold the least and was up to a $150 cheaper at one point time than the competetion. If Sony were to cut the price again it would see another sales spike and slightly higher sustained sales or reduced depreciation in sales but the fact remains that once again Sony's system si priced to high for the market for it to see trememndous growth.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Huge PS3 price cut can do some impact IMO, but everyone disagrees with me so yea.

Love the new Avatar.

yea
1st : ps3
2nd : Gearbox (lol go me )
3rd: wii

Gearbox said:
yea
1st : ps3
2nd : Gearbox (lol go me )
3rd: wii

Thaaat's epic. Fail.

I dunno, 2nd place really could go to either... PS3 would really have to get its act together though.

Yeah, I finally have a sig.

First place, yes.

Second place...

colonelstubbs said:
I think thats it...we know the wii had won, barring some sort of major catastrophe, and unless the PS3 gets a continued stream of huge exclusives the 360 has beaten it

thats likely to happen in 2009.

all big exclusives are coming in the same year killzone 2 (usa and europe ) god of war 3(usa and europe ), heavy rain, FF13 in japan, likely versus in japan, white knight chronicles(japan), Europe (GT5).

thats 3 big market very well target