By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I want to start playing RPG's. What do I sart with?

Well I have never really played an RPG (I'm not counting Pokemon) and want to try one out.

What games should I play? A really good intro type game. I'm a big fan of good stories.

I have a DS, a Wii, a PS2, and have access to a 360. Any ideas?

Much appreciated.

Around the Network

Well, you have 2D remakes of Final Fantasy games available for the GBA which your DS will play, and you also have the two 3D DS Final Fantasy remakes. and finally you also have Chrono Trigger. Any one of those (especially Chrono Trigger) would be an excellent choice, I think.

Well, i suggest FFVII, It´s a great RPG to begin with and it has a great story. This was my first too.

Systems owned: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP N64 Wii iPhone

Try FFX, it's pretty old, but it's an easy one to begin with ;)

Are we talking JRPG's or WRPG's. As they are typically fairly different.

If we're talking JRPG's I'd suggest Chrono Trigger. I haven't played the DS version, but assuming it's true to the orginal, I think it would be a good place to start. I've always felt Chrono Trigger was a little more easy to get into then most JRPG's. It's paced well, both gameplay and storywise and I think the DS version actually has difficulty settings.

Around the Network

I would recommend any of the Mario rpg's. Super Mario RPG (VC), Paper Mario (VC), Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GC), Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA), Mario and Luigi: Partner's in Time (DS). They are easy to get into, have fun battles, and the stories are good if a bit goofy.

FFX, Grandia (1,2 or3), Star ocean (1,2 or 3)

Grandia is most accessible IMO perfect mix of action/strategy

FFX is turn based, old school with some twists (ability to swap in/out party members during battle)

Star ocean is Real time only control one character at a time, the AI for your partners is pretty good.

Grandia is a mix since action stops when you are making choices (otherwise it has a timer after which a character can act so somewhat turn-based).

Question: were you okay with the length, filler, and plot of Okami?

I'd also suggest Chrono Trigger. I've never been a big JRPG fan (couldn't get through FF3 despite everyone's claims to greatness) but the music and story just sucked me in.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

yeah. I really like Okami. fun story and gameplay. and beautiful to boot!