By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Want to start playing RPG's. What do I sart with?

Super Mario RPG would be a good choice too virtual console wise.

Chrono Trigger DS really is the way to go though i'd say.

When it comes to Final Fantasies their is a huge divergence of which ones are good and which ones are bad.

I've yet to see anyone argue the quality of Chrono Trigger. It's not everyones favorite. But everyone i know has liked it. Including friends of mine who don't play RPGs.

Around the Network

Knights of the Old Republic 1 or 2 (original xbox, but will work on 360)

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

For the DS I would recommend:

Final Fantasy III

Izuna 2

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

For Wii, there aren't really any good RPGs with the exception of Fire Emblem or Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (that's an excellent game, but its not been released yet in Europe.)

damkira said:

For the DS I would recommend:

Final Fantasy III

Izuna 2

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

For Wii, there aren't really any good RPGs with the exception of Fire Emblem or Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (that's an excellent game, but its not been released yet in Europe.)

What about all the great Virtual Console RPGS?

Like Mario RPG for example.

Tales of Symphonia for GC/compatible on Wii as well.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Oh, and if you wanna play FF DO NOT START WITH 8. I love that game to death, but that game is freaking hard.

Hard? FF8? It's not the easiest game ever made, but it's in no way hard. You really need to meet hard RPGs, maybe SMT: Nocturne will teach you what "hard" means.

I'd suggest starting with Final Fantasy X, not very old and good enough to get you hooked. Or if you want to start with the best, you can try Suikoden V or Persona 3 FES

final fantasy 9

My daughter is my world.

marcoberry3 said:

Well I have never really played an RPG (I'm not counting Pokemon) and want to try one out.

What games should I play? A really good intro type game. I'm a big fan of good stories.

I have a DS, a Wii, a PS2, and have access to a 360. Any ideas? Install "Baldur's Gate" on your PC (if you got one)

Much appreciated.

Yeah, I would recommend starting with something that isn't overly technical and is at least PS1 era or later.

I'll say:

FF VII
FF IX
Xenogears
Star Ocean: Until the End of Time
Chrono Trigger (seems to be a big favorite even though older)

Oblivion and Morrowind are good WRPG's.

Diablo is my favorite RPG of all time, another great WRPG.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Kasz216 said:

Chrono Trigger DS.

It's simple... and one of the best RPGs out there.

I believe IGN rated it as the BEST RPG EVER.

When they did they're top 100 list.  Though i might be forgetting one.

Yes.

and I do consider the DS version to be the best version. It's portable, it has everything the SNES version had, plus it adds a few minor side quest type things, plus you've got the SNES button layout, which meanas the codes make far more sense, but you also have the PSX animated cutscenes.

The big thing for me was the dojo, monster manual, and item list so that you could see all the stuff you're missing, or get clear HP stats on monsters so you can fight them more efficiently. This is also good for deciding what monsters to fight for items, including what monsters are worth using charm on. The DS menus also felt more organized, which made deciding equipped items easier and being able to run by default is great too.

Oh yeah, DEFINITELY go for Baldur's Gate, but make sure to grab the entire series. Even after you beat the thing normally, there are TONS of fan made mods that I can point you to that just increase the replay value some 20 times over, but you need Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal to access a lot of the best ones.

If you like having a little more involvement in your battles, you should DEFINITELY try Mario RPG, and also the N64 or Gamecube Paper Mario games, the timed bonus to your attacks can make a real difference in the outcome of the battles you fight, and you don't feel like you're JUST sitting back and giving commands.

The gamecube paper mario can be played on your wii, provided you get a gamecube controller to plug in and a Gamecube memory card. The N64 version you can get on Virtual Console(at least in the American region, not sure about worldwide) and Mario RPG can be found on Virtual Console if you're in PAL regions like europe (I think) It'll likely come out in America EVETUALLY, but it could be a while yet.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her