By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Star Ocean 4 or White Knight Chronicles?

Looks like a hybrid of a traditional JRPG and SRPG

Around the Network

KUF is strategic? lol, it´s a stupid hack-and-slash RPG from Korea. S stands for strategy and all kinds of SRPGs (eastern, western) have a much smaller userbase than conventional RPGs. Though I wouldn´t label TLR as a SRPG, but a massive scale turn-based RPG.

White Knight Chronicles will sell more. Star Ocean 4 looks pretty good but at what cost? How many discs will it have and how long will it be? Of course if SO4 goes multi-plat by also coming to PS3 it will definitely sell the most and it will have those two issues of disc space wiped away.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:

White Knight Chronicles will sell more. Star Ocean 4 looks pretty good but at what cost? How many discs will it have and how long will it be? Of course if SO4 goes multi-plat by also coming to PS3 it will definitely sell the most and it will have those two issues of disc space wiped away.

I can assure you that beating the story part of SO4 alone with take atleast 30 or 35+ hours if not 40+ hours. WKC will sell more in Japan but in the West, we just have to wait to see as JRPG sales in the West are pretty unpredictable at times.

memory2zack said:
KUF is strategic? lol, it´s a stupid hack-and-slash RPG from Korea. S stands for strategy and all kinds of SRPGs (eastern, western) have a much smaller userbase than conventional RPGs. Though I wouldn´t label TLR as a SRPG, but a massive scale turn-based RPG.

Kingdom Under Fire was one of the best games last gen. So easy on the stupid. KUF COD for 360 was shit, it wasnt the same team and was a spin off RPG game. KUF 2 in 09 is the real sequel and is shaping up with the best visuals imo so far. It's KUF in overload. There is 100's if not 1000 characters on screen in a hell of alot of detail.

Around the Network
DeotoxSlayer said:
Neoraf said:

Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope.
I think everyone see the trend, JRPG = 360.

Just look at the Xbox 360 JRPG offering:

The Last Remnant
Tales of Vesperia
Infinite Undiscovery
Lost Odyssey 
Eternal Sonata
Spectral Force 3
Final Fantasy 13
Blue Dragon
Final Fantasy 11
Enchanted Arms
Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope

WKC will have average sales, just like Valkyria Chronicles.

Valkyria Chronicles (Japan First Week sales) = 78,038 ... on PS3

Tales of Vesperia (Japan First Week sales)  = 106,421 ... on 360
The Last Remnant (Japan First Week sales) = 105,196 ... on 360

LOL

You do know that you just destroyed your point by mentioning that major 360 JRPGs Like the Last Remenant and Tales of Vesperia only managed to beat a Niche TRPG like Valkyria Chronicles by 25k.

LOL

You do know the PS3 has three times the instal base as the 360 in JP.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Tyrannical said:
DeotoxSlayer said:
Neoraf said:

Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope.
I think everyone see the trend, JRPG = 360.

Just look at the Xbox 360 JRPG offering:

The Last Remnant
Tales of Vesperia
Infinite Undiscovery
Lost Odyssey 
Eternal Sonata
Spectral Force 3
Final Fantasy 13
Blue Dragon
Final Fantasy 11
Enchanted Arms
Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope

WKC will have average sales, just like Valkyria Chronicles.

Valkyria Chronicles (Japan First Week sales) = 78,038 ... on PS3

Tales of Vesperia (Japan First Week sales)  = 106,421 ... on 360
The Last Remnant (Japan First Week sales) = 105,196 ... on 360

LOL

You do know that you just destroyed your point by mentioning that major 360 JRPGs Like the Last Remenant and Tales of Vesperia only managed to beat a Niche TRPG like Valkyria Chronicles by 25k.

LOL

You do know the PS3 has three times the instal base as the 360 in JP.

LOL

And you responding to that while not even knowing what it means is funny. Look at Disgea for the Ps2. Then look at it for the Ps3. Then look at... Oh I don't know Tales of for the Ps2 then look at it for the 360.

WKC most likely because J-RPG's sell really well in Japan usually, and a lot more people own PS3 in Japan than 360.

My take: both will be great games (I'm more interested in SO4 because I like Star Ocean) but both games won't sell very well. I say both should be able to reach 200k in Japan and WKC should be able to make it to 300k or even 400k. However, I fear both games won't do well in the west. However, they could do well if they are advertised properly.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Godot - WKC will release with a 200k week.