By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Walmart to offer tens of thousands of Wiis on Monday

I think the wii is selling even better than paper..at this rate.

mM
Around the Network

I'm a "PS3 Fanboy" because I believe the Wii is cool, but isn't some sorta sales miracle?

Does that make everyone else a "Wii fanboy" if the Wii sells less this week than last by any reasonable margin?

I prefer my PS3 (and 360) to my Wii, for certain, but I don't hate the Wii. I just don't think it will single-handedly save the world from recession. I think its pretty silly to think the sales will appear similar to last year, despite the worst economic recession in even remotely recent history. I know the games industry is *somewhat* immune, but I don't think its as bulletproof as is being imagined here, is all. We'll see shortly.

DKII said:
"I also doubt that you can truly deny that my experience is any less common that your own, unless you are a sales professional, or otherwise."

All I'm saying is your prediction history isn't exactly unbiased, let alone inspiring.

FYI, the weeks leading up to Christmas are generally larger than Black Friday week, *especially* worldwide where Black Friday doesn't even matter. You have the information on this site, might as well make use of it if you're going to try and argue something.

2007 Sales:

Black Friday, Week Ending 11/25/07 (Worldwide | Americas)
Wii: 670k | 440k
360: 420k | 330k
PS3: 360k | 175k
DS: 1.4M | 700k
PSP: 400k | 215k
PS2: 400k | 260k

Xmas, Week Ending 12/23/07 (Worldwide | Americas)
Wii: 1.5M | 750k
360: 590k | 380k
PS3: 620k | 230k
DS: 2M | 900k
PSP: 750k | 305k
PS2: 720k | 370k

As you can see, there were significant increases in sales for all systems through December, with the Wii seeing one of the largest. To say something like "I don't think we're going to see another super week (like BF) for the Wii this year.. or for any console." is a pretty foolish statement in that light. Any economic downturn would affect sales across the board, not the ratio between Black Friday sales and Xmas Week sales. The fact that you predict Others Wii sales to be randomly down 20% this week (there was no unusual boost last week there since Black Friday isn't a big deal there) only accentuates it.

In general I agree with this, but with this economy I am not so sure. There may be a chance that Black Friday weekend sales were the top or close to it.  My thinking is that because of the economy Nintendo knew that people would really go out for those Black Friday weekend sales and they wanted ample Wii supply at the stores on those days.  Consumers budgets have been cut and better to have the spend as soon as possible rather than hope for some late shoppers.  This goes across the board, not just the Wii buy the way.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Oh please, you're the person who said that Wii sales wouldn't improve for Black Friday. Now you're saying the same thing. Give me a break.

FishyJoe said:
Oh please, you're the person who said that Wii sales wouldn't improve for Black Friday. Now you're saying the same thing. Give me a break.

I assume you're not referring to me, who said that stock of the Wii would be depleted on BF, and then sales would be lesser thereafter?

If you are referring to me, feel free to show us some quotes.

Around the Network
Groucho said:
FishyJoe said:

I assume you're not referring to me, who said that stock of the Wii would be depleted on BF, and then sales would be lesser thereafter?

If you are referring to me, feel free to show us some quotes.

It was thx that said it.

Although, you still owe an explanation as to why Wii sales will drop over 30% in others.

FishyJoe said:

I dont recall predicting that they wouldnt improve Black Friday.  I do recall predicting that maybe the sales for the week long period may not be driven by Black Friday itself.  I had never seen so many Wii's available all month as this year. The sale ads werent pushing Wii's either.  So again I think that last weeks NA sales were driven by Wii availability all week long.

As for this week and the rest of the Holiday Season I am not saying Wii's will be down in sales. I am thinking that sales in general may be down compared to your typical Holiday Season where sales usually climb up until Christmas.  We should get the first hint of this when the site gets updated numbers over the next few days.

thx1139 said:
FishyJoe said:

I dont recall predicting that they wouldnt improve Black Friday.  I do recall predicting that maybe the sales for the week long period may not be driven by Black Friday itself.  I had never seen so many Wii's available all month as this year. The sale ads werent pushing Wii's either.  So again I think that last weeks NA sales were driven by Wii availability all week long.

As for this week and the rest of the Holiday Season I am not saying Wii's will be down in sales. I am thinking that sales in general may be down compared to your typical Holiday Season where sales usually climb up until Christmas.  We should get the first hint of this when the site gets updated numbers over the next few days.

Your said that Wii sales would not be more than 700-800k per week this season. You were dead wrong. You will be wrong this week. You will be wrong next week.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=1472196

FishyJoe said:
thx1139 said:
FishyJoe said:

Your said that Wii sales would not be more than 700-800k per week this season. You were dead wrong. You will be wrong this week. You will be wrong next week.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=1472196

So I was off about 4K..Below is what I said.

Because of this I dont see the Wii going much higher than 700-800K per week (Still an incredible number). 

Again I am wondering how much this years holidays sales may be front loaded.  I am done with Christmas shopping this year and I know a great deal of other people done as well.   This economy is terrible and people may not have much cash left for the last couple of weeks except for huge discounts. The Wii wont be one of those huge discounted items. None of the consoles will be.

You didn't specify in Americas only. In fact, since you said the Xbox would probably reach 800k too, I just assumed you meant worldwide.