By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - People label "casual" for almost any wii release?

I was reading some random Animal Crossing: City Folk reviews, and many websites label it as a casual title.

How come it is a casual tittle? Animal Crossing for Gamecube wasn't labeled that way so why now AC for Wii is?

Because it is for Wii?

I've seen many people grabbing the most common titles and call it a casual game just because it has gameplay improvements for Wii. Also, I don't remember people calling hardcore to Halo back in the first Xbox time, not even calling hardcore to anything!!!! Just calling it GAME!

How come now people assume that almost every Wii game is casual?

Around the Network

Because they know a lot of casual gamers have been drawn to the Wii, which is actually a good thing for the industry even though a lot of "hardcore" gamers appear not to like the idea of grandpa playing a bowling game at a party.

So you end up with some gamers even calling Mario games "casual" because the Wii appeals to casual gamers. I guess the guys who regularly rolled over Asteroids at the arcade were "casual" because the game didn't feature lots o' guns and body parts flying in every direction.

Go figure.

One_touch_KO said:

I was reading some random Animal Crossing: City Folk reviews, and many websites label it as a casual title.

How come it is a casual tittle? Animal Crossing for Gamecube wasn't labeled that way so why now AC for Wii is?

Because it is for Wii?

I've seen many people grabbing the most common titles and call it a casual game just because as gameplay improvements for Wii. Also, I don't remember people calling hardcore to Halo back in the first Xbox time, not even calling hardcore to anything!!!! Just calling it GAME!

Really? It was labeled as a game ''for kids'' actually. With that said, casual is a much better title if you want my opinion.

It seems that people that call these kind of games ''casual'' consider them to be easy to pick up and play, like me for example. My definition of hardcore is someone that plays hard and unusual games. So by that logic, if anyone can ''pick up and play'' this game, it's starting to be casual because EVERYBODY knows about it and plays it!

Heck, I'd even call Call of Duty 4 and Guitar Hero/Rock Band casual! o_O

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

'Phaser' is also a good label, and so is 'Photon Torpedo', also known as 'red things in space' in some circles.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
'Shovelware' is also a good label, and so is 'cheap cash in', also known as remake in some circles.

The people that do that should burn in hell..

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
'Shovelware' is also a good label, and so is 'cheap cash in', also known as remake in some circles.

If you're talking about Animal Crossing you're not only trolling but totally insane.  If you're not talking about Animal Crossing, I guess you're just trolling.

When my friends 9 year old sister is playing animal crossing, and doesn't play any other game, and talks about shopping and other stuff in game.........it's casual.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

SHMUPGurus said:
One_touch_KO said:

Because it is for Wii?

I've seen many people grabbing the most common titles and call it a casual game just because as gameplay improvements for Wii. Also, I don't remember people calling hardcore to Halo back in the first Xbox time, not even calling hardcore to anything!!!! Just calling it GAME!

Really? It was labeled as a game ''for kids'' actually. With that said, casual is a much better title if you want my opinion.

It seems that people that call these kind of games ''casual'' consider them to be easy to pick up and play, like me for example. My definition of hardcore is someone that plays hard and unusual games. So by that logic, if anyone can ''pick up and play'' this game, it's starting to be casual because EVERYBODY knows about it and plays it!

Heck, I'd even call Call of Duty 4 and Guitar Hero/Rock Band casual! o_O

This guy has the exact same definition as me for casual! Finally someone on this site agrees with me in at least one way!

soulsamurai said:
When my friends 9 year old sister is playing animal crossing, and doesn't play any other game, and talks about shopping and other stuff in game.........it's casual.

That sounds like a "Hardcore" game to me atleast.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

^^.........o.o you're telling me a game, is hardcore because a 9 year old with zero interests in games is playing one. Next im going to hear wii play is a hardcore games because my 76 year old grandma which has zero interest in games is playing it.