By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Aftermarket CPU cooler question

I'm about to buy a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and I'm wondering if the thermal paste that comes pre-applied (mx-1 paste) is sufficent or if i should buy a tube of something. if so, what kind should I get?

this is for my q6600.

thanks

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

Use Arctic Silver 5.

I'm currently using the same HSF. It's a great/cheap cooling solution for moderate overclocking.

I used it with a GO Q6600 OCed to 3.3ghz stable (1.29v), mid 30s idle, mid 50s load (RealTemp 2.7). I never used the pre applied TIM. Removed it and used Arctic Silver 5 instead, which may/may not have contributed to the temps I was seeing (takes about 200 hours run time to cure to see max benefits).

This was in a mini-ATX tower with an extra 120mm 45CFM fan fitted to the front of the chassis (HDD cage removed, air intake vent opened), and only an 80mm fan used for the exhaust (plus the PSU fan). So not the ideal case for cool temps. With a good air flow case like an Antec 900, I'd see even lower temps.

I'm now using the same HSF with a EO E8400 OCed to 3.6ghz stable (1.28v), high 30s idle, mid 40s load in an Antec 900 with 5 chassis mounted fans (on low), again w/ AS5 TIM.