By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Vertical = bad???

I have just put my PS3 vertical and I was wondering if it was a bad idea. I hear about Xbox 360's breaking all the time when vertical however what about the PS3?

I know it was built to go vertical, evidence due to the PS3 logo near the disk slot. My PS3 is well ventilated etc and was wondering if the hardware inside would break due to it being vertical.

Thoughts people?

Around the Network

I have a launch PS3 that has been vertical for the two years I have had it. No problems so far.

I have a EU launch one n its been vertical for over 1.5 Years now....nothing has happened to it........yet

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Vertical is ugly though, so that should be enough to not do it.

both my 360 and ps3 stand verticle and Ive never had one problem.

3DS FC: 4355-9313-6815

Around the Network

I have read (although, I'm not 100% sure) that vertical for any disc drive is harder on the drive than horizontal.

The supposed reasoning goes something along the lines of this.

When in the horizontal position, the motor doesn't have to fight gravity while spinning the disc, which means it has even forces on the motor.

In the horizontal position the motor now needs to fight gravity on 1 side of the disc (the side traveling up) and has the help of gravity on the other (side going down). This causes uneven forces on the motor which could break it prematurely.

Now, I'm not going to do any research on it, but my own little evidence is that my Wii (maybe I knocked it over too many times) makes more noise in the vertical position than it does in the horizontal position while spinning the disc.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I had my PS3 sitting vertically for the first 2 yrs with no issues, only changed it now b/c I got a new entertainment system.

@nordlead

"In the horizontal position the motor now needs to fight gravity on 1 side of the disc (the side traveling up) and has the help of gravity on the other (side going down). This causes uneven forces on the motor which could break it prematurely."

I am guessing you meant to have vertical position instead of horizontal? Or am I just confused.

nordlead said:
I have read (although, I'm not 100% sure) that vertical for any disc drive is harder on the drive than horizontal.

The supposed reasoning goes something along the lines of this.

In the horizontal position the motor now needs to fight gravity on 1 side of the disc (the side traveling up) and has the help of gravity on the other (side going down). This causes uneven forces on the motor which could break it prematurely.

Lol.. and the data bits fall off the platter as well if you mount it vertically???

It really doesn't matter how you orientate your harddisk, as long as sufficient cooling is ensured. Modern harddisk can even placed upside down (though I would't recomment that).

Aj_habfan said:
Vertical is ugly though, so that should be enough to not do it.

What he said.