By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Whats wrong with japanese game development? answered

RolStoppable said:
Japanese companies won't regain their significance by playing by the rules of the Western companies and trying to make games like them. It's a lose-lose situation: The gamers who are mostly interested in Western games would still buy those over Japanese games who try to be like Western games while the gamers who like the traditional Japanese games are put off by the changes.

Like usual, this article leaves Nintendo out of the picture. Does Nintendo try to westernize their games? No. Do Nintendo games aim for a realistic graphics style? No. Nintendo hasn't changed much over all these years and their games are still selling millions.

The other Japanese companies had no problems to sell their games last generation, so what has changed since then? Besides the ill conceived belief that they have to westernize their games, they are making their games for the wrong consoles.

The Wii is the market leader, development costs are reasonable and the horsepower is sufficient. Japanese games usually don't aim for realistic looking graphics anyway. On top of that the competition from Western companies is hardly there on the Wii, Nintendo's system plays more to the strengths of Japanese game development than the HD consoles do.

Bottom line: I disagree with the article and say that Japanese companies should look at what Nintendo does to be successful instead of trying to directly compete against the full force of Western companies.

Thi sums up pretty well what I always thought and always said this gen.

It's pretty obvious too.

Just think that the Wii has two poor quality JRPG spinoffs that sold far well than most high production JRPG on other consoles, and the conclusion is obvious. The XB360 userbase proved that it wouldn't support JRPG, they pretty much all flopped hard on it. The PS3 too, even though it had one of the most innovative JRPG of this gen (Senjou No Valkyria).

Except the handhelds, the only console that can support JRPG, and most japanese games this gen, is the Wii.

I'd rather ask what made japanese devs, and to a less extent western devs, do stupid mistakes like they did.

They did things that make no sense as to their games positioning, and some continue to do so (Square part of Square Enix, only the Enix part get it). At least I know western devs stupidly followed stupid agencies like EEDAR (sp?) with their flawed analysis. But the japanese? They have no excuses.

I said they would be doomed trying to go after the western market. Seems like it was true: every single one of their western oriented games just flop. They have to play with western rules, and they just fail at that, for obvious reasons.

To me, all these articles are just illustrations of their failures.

This article is a bit more, as it is so stupid, and so obviously filled with an agenda, that I'm pretty sure it's a PR in disguise.

Around the Network

The market has expanded over the years, the gamers who like Japanese games are not the majority anymore. These days it's all about FPSs and sports games. The vast majority of the games I like still comes from Japan, though.

mike_intellivision said:
This just shows that gamers misunderstanding the current situation is not a uniquely American/Western phenomenon.

I am not even sure this is original as I remember something similar being posted a couple of weeks ago (I searched and could not find it).

Mike from Morgantown

Is it this thread by any chance?

I just wanted to add: Why does it seem like everybody ignores Nintendo? Nintendo is not competing with Sony or Microsoft, and now they aren't even Japanese game developers (else the article crumbles even further). What's going on?

el_rika said:
scottie said:
mrstickball said:
Rei said:

(and last I checked, Halo 3 is the most popular online multiplayer game in history).

MK:Wii has more sales and is an online game

WoW certainly has more sales and more manhours spent on it

...and this without even throwing Counter Strike in.

Hell, i think COD4 is at least twice as played as Halo 3 atm.

StarCraft says hello to all of you.

Soriku said:
Western devs seem to think graphics > everything. That's why they're losing money. Some exceptions but if they follow what Nintendo do by making something different they can make more money. Not Nintendo amounts of money, but still. LBP is a good example. It's redefining the genre.

What a load of bs. Western developers make amazing games that arn't JUST easy on the eye but are in fact really good in many other respects. 'Almost' anyone can give you a list of western developed games that not only look the part but have fantastic gameplay amongst other things.

Nintendo are focusing on the casual market. Look at the big sellers. Wi Fit, Wii Sport and Wii Play have been selling like hot cakes for ages now. Waaaay more than the (few) far superior hardcore games the Wii offers and I and many other gamers certainly don't envy not having those games available for my system.

It's only a matter of time before Western developers start making money again. Usually what happens is due to the game development costs, quarterly profits can look bad till the game is released and sold so the next quarterly profit results will be more positive. I'm sure come Jan 2009, things will look rosy once all the Christmas sales are taken into account. Businesses take risks and learn from them. Or at least they should.

BTW LPB is not making Sony loads of money and it's a far better game than Wii Fit, Sport & Play. Halo 3 and Gears 2 made loads of money for Microsoft.

Around the Network
Badassbab said:
Soriku said:
Western devs seem to think graphics > everything. That's why they're losing money. Some exceptions but if they follow what Nintendo do by making something different they can make more money. Not Nintendo amounts of money, but still. LBP is a good example. It's redefining the genre.

What a load of bs. Western developers make amazing games that arn't JUST easy on the eye but are in fact really good in many other respects. 'Almost' anyone can give you a list of western developed games that not only look the part but have fantastic gameplay amongst other things.

Nintendo are focusing on the casual market. Look at the big sellers. Wi Fit, Wii Sport and Wii Play have been selling like hot cakes for ages now. Waaaay more than the (few) far superior hardcore games the Wii offers and I and many other gamers certainly don't envy not having those games available for my system.

It's only a matter of time before Western developers start making money again. Usually what happens is due to the game development costs, quarterly profits can look bad till the game is released and sold so the next quarterly profit results will be more positive. I'm sure come Jan 2009, things will look rosy once all the Christmas sales are taken into account. Businesses take risks and learn from them. Or at least they should.

BTW LPB is not making Sony loads of money and it's a far better game than Wii Fit, Sport & Play. Halo 3 and Gears 2 made loads of money for Microsoft.

You have to consider that Soriku mostly plays JRPGs and he hates many of the genres that are popular in the West.

Soriku said:
@Bad

I worded that wrong. I meant that many Western devs put graphics as the top priority so they make a really great game but it's just way too costly and they lose money if they overdo it. Game might be great graphically, gameplay, etc. but doesn't do much good for them if they lose money.

Actually, Western games don't cost as much as you think.  Western developers use middleware engines most of the time to have a game's graphics look excellent without making the game cost $50-$100 million dollars to develop.  Western games are only prohibitibly(sorry if I didn't spell that right) expensive if they use engines that are built from the ground up specifically for those games.

Soriku said:
So what's the reason they're losing money then?

Because they have games in development and production costs of these games increase as time goes on.

Riachu said:
Soriku said:
So what's the reason they're losing money then?

Because they have games in development and production costs of these games increase as time goes on.

So the development costs aren't that high but they're losing money because the games that are in production are increasing in costs and the games they're putting out aren't covering said costs?

Then Soriku was right.

Please don't get Bod'd a second time in this thread. It hurt to watch it the first time.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Esa-Petteri said:
Japanese devs suck, it is just that simple. They can't make good games. I would not care if they developed only for DS/PSP. Well... RE5 looks great and some rpg:s too, so maybe there is a little hope for japanese devs after all. They might 'get it'.

Your opinion. Don't state it as some damn fact....

4 ≈ One