By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Whats wrong with japanese game development? answered

@mrstickball

thats where nintendo has succeeded though.

EACH and every one of their games are MAJOR his everywhere

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Oblivion plays exactly like Morrowind
COD 5 plays exactly like COD 1
Halo 3 plays exactly like Halo 1
GTA IV plays exactly like GTA III
Guitar hero WT plays like Guitar Hero II
Need for Speed Undercover plays like Need for Speed hot porche
The Sims 2 plays like The Sims 1
Medieval 2: Total war plays exactly like Shogun: Total War
FIFA 09 plays like FIFA 99

I can go on and on. It is something I will never understand: why japanese devs are being criticized for not evolving while western developers are exactly the same. We play the same First Person Shooter games with different environments over and over again and nobody complains. But whenever a new turn based Dragon Quest game appears everyone says "Oh, turn-based again?! Japanese devs do not evolve!!!"

I dont get it.

Fire Emblem
Advance Wars

Not necessarily in the ranks of certain other Nintendo franchises. Nintendo EAD has an insane success rate in the West, but not every franchise is huge.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

How the hell is RE4 and 5 western influenced ?

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"

el_rika said:

That have adjustable cameras, have realistic art styles, and are akin in a way to third person shooters like Gears of War 2.

Around the Network
Riachu said:
el_rika said:

That have adjustable cameras, have realistic art styles, and are akin in a way to third person shooters like Gears of War 2.

What ? are you like, serious ?

Not only did RE4 come out years before Gears of War but it's basically Gears and every other Western TPS that copied the mechanics in RE4.

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"

el_rika said:

RE1 was a game that was spooky due to the mystery behind the mansion and the oppressive feeling of being alone that gave you. The lack of sufficient ammo and health was another way that they made the game spooky - Japanese horror games are all about slowly building up the horror through a combination of things.

Western horror games are less subtle, relying on flaming guys bursting out of an over and scaring the crap out of you that way.

RE4 is still mostly Japanese in style, but is much more Western oriented than the previous games in the franchise

Rei said:

Oblivion plays exactly like Morrowind
COD 5 plays exactly like COD 1
Halo 3 plays exactly like Halo 1
GTA IV plays exactly like GTA III
Guitar hero WT plays like Guitar Hero II
Need for Speed Undercover plays like Need for Speed hot porche
The Sims 2 plays like The Sims 1
Medieval 2: Total war plays exactly like Shogun: Total War
FIFA 09 plays like FIFA 99

I can go on and on. It is something I will never understand: why japanese devs are being criticized for not evolving while western developers are exactly the same. We play the same First Person Shooter games with different environments over and over again and nobody complains. But whenever a new turn based Dragon Quest game appears everyone says "Oh, turn-based again?! Japanese devs do not evolve!!!"

I dont get it.

Do you realize that almost every comparison you just made compares games that are 3-5 years old, and most are arguing that Japan has been in a rut for the past 15 years?

Morrowind may play like Oblivion, but Arena plays nothing like Fallout 3.

Halo 3 may play like Halo 1, except for the fact that Halo 1 was offline only (and last I checked, Halo 3 is the most popular online multiplayer game in history).

GTAIV plays nothing like GTA I or II

Guitar Hero World Tour is radically different than I or II due to the usage of DLC, new instruments, make-your-own-song, and many other things.

Need for Speed Undercover plays nothing like Pro Street.

Some series are very similar, but there are a ton that aren't - compare to most bigger Japanese franchises, that play very similarly - I am playing Dragon Quest IV on my DS - a game that's almost 20 years old, and can pick up Dragon Quest 8, and 90% of gameplay elements are the same!

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Riachu said:
badgenome said:
JPSandhu said:
you wanna no the problem, all their male characters look like chicks

That's right! The problem with Japanese developers is that they confuse my pants!

Do you guys even know why those male character are androgynous? It's to appeal to Japanese gamers(especially girls). It's as simple as that.

Also, the problem is that they are still using dated development methods and control schemes, even though MGS4 took the step in the right direction. BTW, the best Japanese games can hold their own against the best Western games. Look at Super Mario Galaxy, Metal Gear Solid 4 and many of the other current gen Japanese developed games that have excellent reviews. You shouldn't say that ALL Japanese games are lesser than Westen games. It's not like Western developers have their problems. They sometimes listen too much to what gamers in their native countries want. Taking risks in game development is what kept the game industry from getting stale yet many Western developers are just as venerable in making by-the-books First and Third person shooters as the Japanese are in making by-the-books JRPGs.

This is the nail on the head.  Sometimes, I think there should just be DLC that replaces the adrogynous characters in jRPGs with Bald Space Marines - for all the Western gamers that have problems.

Living in Japan, I've asked several gamers what they think about FPS.  Most of them have the same complaint that Americans have about jRPGs - cliched and not very unique from each other.  Many think that the genre hasn't changed too much from Goldeneye 64 - Stories are simple and protagonsists are always big tough Bald Space Marines with tons of blood and gore.

At the same time, other American exchange students at my University don't know any jRPGs other than Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.  I ask them about Dragon Quest, Tales, Star Ocean - and they are completely in the dark.

There has also been a big shift in the gaming media's views.  Go to G4, Halo and Gears are considered the pinnacles of gaming, while Japanese games tend to be looked at as "second class."  Whether or not patriotism is a big factor, I don't know. 

Lastly, animation in the West is viewed much more as being targeted for children because of Disney and Looney Toons shaping that industry, while the Japanese have accepted it as being for both children and adults.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

mrstickball said:
Rei said:

(and last I checked, Halo 3 is the most popular online multiplayer game in history).

MK:Wii has more sales and is an online game

WoW certainly has more sales and more manhours spent on it