By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What to call Wii (and DS) players other than 'casual'

Casuals are people, which buy Wii for Wii fit, Wii sports and Wii play.
And which buy DS for games like brain training and nintendogs.

End of thread.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

hardcore works for me.

I dont think Labelling "casual" "hardcore" or whatever has any sense, it's just about people enjoying their gaming, and it does not matter what type of games they play or how long they spend doing it.
( I personally would dislike being called a "hardcore" gamer)

wii'ites

Gamers. Period.

Labels are for snobs.

Around the Network

I think the vast majority of people who play Nintendo systems do not define their life by gaming, which is not necessarily a bad thing (dedication is good, addiction is bad, etc.)

Take me for example. I have been playing video games since before I could form a coherent sentence probably (before concrete memories for me atleast) I Bought a SNES, later got an NES and then a PS1 owned a GB, GBA and then got the Wii and the DS. I also have spent countless hours in HALO and then Halo 2 tournaments with friends and rented a PS2 at one point simply to play FF12. I consider myselft a pretty rounded gamer (modesty I know but lets put that aside for a moment).

However I do have things going on in my life other than gaming. I have school and work (25-35+ hours a week for each of those). I enjoy reading, I am an intermediate movie buff, I collect all things ralated to Dragon Ball Z (which has a spillover to games admittently), I love Star Trek and Star Wars for different reasons, I have a pasion for computers and computer programming, I enjoy fishing and hunting (in the rare instances that I get to), I like to bowl even though I suck, I shoot a mean game of pool and even though I fail 90+% of the time there is nothing better than getting drunk and trying to get laid on the weekends.

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

Ok, if we must pigeonhole ourselves

For anyone who owns any 7th gen console, or a PC for gaming

If you owned a 6th generation console (PS2, xbox, Gamecube or a PC that you used for gaming) you are a core gamer. Not hardcore, core

If you didn't, you are part of the Extended Audience.

SmokedHostage said:
Gamer. Enough said.

AMEN! I am so tired of this whole discussion. Hey folks, we are talking about video games, playing make believe on a TV set - WTF HARDCORE?  How about hardcore tiddly wink players, world class nose picking?

I think gamer is fine and I wouldn't even brag about that

My name's Alfredo. Nice to meet ya!

CrazzyMan said:
Casuals are people, which buy Wii for Wii fit, Wii sports and Wii play.
And which buy DS for games like brain training and nintendogs.

End of thread.

Pathetic Losers are people who define themselves in terms of the type of video GAME they play, what they play it on or how much time they waste playing them.

End of thread.