By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So I got the 3 Red Rings

steven787 said:

So your telling me my 360 didn't really break, and neither did millions of others? Edit: And that placing a towel on there will re-attach the bad soldering?

EDIT #2:  I usually refrain from exploding in anger and I will continue to try.  There are several different problems associated with the 3 red lights, there are also problems with the drives, system updates bricking systems (multiple system updates) and more ways for your 360 to break.  One thing like the Wii update at launch that bricked systems was at launch.  There have been only a few reports of Wii's overheating, where are all those Youtube videos, and even the PS2 disc read error is fractionally as common as the 360 problems.  The extended warranty only covers the three red lights problem.  Bull.  They manufacture a bad system, they don't pull the bad ones off of shelves.  They blamed user error for the first 17 months, and they blamed user error when the original xbox was burning down houses and KILLING people.(If it's user error hw come the other consoles of every other gen weren't burning down houses)  Than there is insider trading right before the announcements, where Bach didn't register his trade like he was supposed to, right before the announcement of losses.  It's rediculous, all of it, and I hope some of these people go to jail.

It has nothing to do with "bad soldering." It has everything to do with "absolutely terrible heat dissipation caused by a terrible mounting system."

You are blaming a problem of design on a problem of manufacturing. They are not the same in any way.

The towel on console works because it remelts the solder (and hopefully allows for it to reattache the way it was supposed to. The problem is caused by the motherboard being warped and the chips not receiving proper contact with their HSF. Then again, putting your console through solder melting temperatures is probably on the order of shooting yourself in the head to slow down cancer, so I personally wouldn't reccomend it as a long term solution.

"Suck on it" -vgchartz mod

Around the Network

I'm surprised no one said towelie jokes yet.. What does it mean when you get all 4 rings then?And haven't modders found a way to overcome the problem?

Really bad streak of luck ckmlb. I recommend Ouendan 2 (or EBA if you haven't got it yet.) to spend time with the DS. 

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"