By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A missed opportunity with Valkyria Chronicles

Why oh why, did SEGA not include multiplayer in Valkyria Chronicles?

It would have been perfect, both locally and over the internet, this could have been the new form of chess.

Why not include it? It would sem like such an obvious feature, especially if the AI isn't always very good, you could get a challenge from playing with someone else who is good at it.

The only challenge with it I can think of would be that it might too slowpaced compared to playing against the AI, when you have to wait for your opponent to finish his turn. But even so, it would still have been neat.

Mind you, I don't own this game yet, but I hope I will get it for christmas. So maybe I am completely wrong, or maybe I am on to something which owners of this game would actually pay to get (with the way people talk about it, paying 10$-ish for a multiplayer upgrade doesn't seem like something that would hold these people back).

Should SEGA actually read this.

Add multiplayer ASAP! Or in the sequel at least! And make a sequel!

Around the Network

Multiplayer in this would be the same as multiplayer in Civ, Fire Emblem, or a host of other turn based strategy games. You probably wouldn't want to play a random person (due to people quitting) but it would work great if you knew people who liked the game also.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

nordlead said:
Multiplayer in this would be the same as multiplayer in Civ, Fire Emblem, or a host of other turn based strategy games. You probably wouldn't want to play a random person (due to people quitting) but it would work great if you knew people who liked the game also.

I think the userbase of VC, are also the kind of gamers who would stick through a match, if they know the person they are playing against, or perhaps someone who is up high on some leaderboard. But if I understand correctly, you get command points depending on the amount of units you use.

So the less units you use, the sooner a turn will be over, so a 3v3 match will be over sooner than a 6v6 match. And of course also becuase there will be less units to defeat. And obviously, your units shouldn't die permanently from multiplayer as way too many units would be lost for people to want to play.

The issue is that they''ll have to rework the entire game mechanic to make it multiplayer friendly, which means more development cost and time Sega doesn't really have.

Can you imagine fighting against a first turn Alicia + awakening rush?

This game tbh is a commercial failure, it had a relatively big budget and a custom built engine, the cost of inplimenting multiplayer would be staggering.

DLC maybe..

Around the Network

I'd guess because of the ability to greatly exploit using the same character over and over again.

If you could only use each character once per turn... then you'd have something.

Kasz216 said:

I'd guess because of the ability to greatly exploit using the same character over and over again.

If you could only use each character once per turn... then you'd have something.

Even if you can only use one character once per turn, the scouts mechanic is fundamentally broken for multiplayer. Their mobility will have to be heavily nerfed, which will make them underpowered as they really need their movement to be effective.

This game would be completly unplayable as a multiplayer as active player can do whatever he wants with defender due to defensive fire weakness and high mobility of units.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

This game would suck if it had multiplayer imo (people quitting or stalling so the other person quits making them lose and how long matches could potentially go for).

BUT, if this game did have multiplayer, I would have bought it day one (to make sure I'm around when this game actually had a multiplayer community). Right now, it's a "buy when in the bargain bin" game (not a reflection of the quality, it's just I will be getting the exact same experience then as I would now).

So yeah, missed opportunity for sales I would say.

Fortunatly i didn't have that problem as I bough it at 24 pounds day one when RRP was 40.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB