By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Someone should make a Slam Dunk basketball game.

A serious one. I know that they've got plenty of arcade machines in Japan that suck.

But imagine a fully fledged console Slam Dunk basketball game, with a decent budget and a nice developer.. I love basketball, and I'm already sick of these NBA year after year whitewashing. It's time for a fresh look, perhaps take an anime graphical style, similar to Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm. Slam Dunk is simply the most awesome anime ever made!

Anyone else think this would be great?

Around the Network

It would be great...for us who love it. I think that the problem is the fanbase is too small. It might sell good in Japan, but I don't think anyone would take the risk to make this kind of game. Here where I live (Italy), they discontinued the deluxe version of the manga because it was selling poorly. You see, if it was aired on tv these days, it could have been a nice bet, but it's too old for the market to care.

Sometimes even if you know what you are going to lose, you got to go fight. That's part of being a man.  Eikichi Onizuka

but I care! i have all the mangas too..

Look at Naruto. It's the best selling, most popular, best known manga nowadays. And what do its videogames sell? 150-200k...not enough, really.

Sometimes even if you know what you are going to lose, you got to go fight. That's part of being a man.  Eikichi Onizuka

But.. but... maybe they can make it on ps2? like those devs continually making niche games in japan.

Around the Network

Slam Dunk just appeared in America a little while ago.

Yea, it's one of Japan's most popular manga, but not here (sadly.) Even if they did make one, odds are we wouldn't get it. Well, you can import it, that's what I did with the Eyeshield 21 games.

I'd love a cell shaded version, but I get the feeling it'll be a rushed job and they'd need a number of games just to get the formula right, let alone getting a good game (looking at you Naruto).

Boy do I miss that anime, shame they discontinued it without a real ending to the story (I didn't follow the manga afterwards).

I'd be down for such a game too! Awesome manga! Potentially awesome game...

Elaine: I will never understand people

Jerry: They're the worst.

Hanamichi rebounding skill: 99 :D

You mean something like this?

http://www.segagagadomain.com/saturn6/slamdunk.htm

Hmm, Slam Dunk.  What can I say?  Well, it's based on the Japanese animation as the title of the game so much likes to remind us and like almost all games based on a TV or movie license this is pretty dire.

You have your basic story mode which just sticks loads of cut scenes before games telling a story as you progress.  Then we have Vs mode and normal play mode.  The actual game of Basket Ball is quite dull.  The animation is bad, sprites are blocky and the control system is almost non existent.  From TV animation SLAMDUNK -I Love Basketball- is a poor game that only fans of the TV show will enjoy.  At least the CD is in colour.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"