By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If PS3 dropped to 299.99 early next year.....

Not much would change.

Around the Network
Kantor said:
RayRay102 said:

What time frame should Microsoft counter with their own price drop and by how much?

I am thinking the right and smart decision is to wait about one month and see how much of an impact the immenant PS3 price deduction will have. I think the perfect price cut in either early summer or late summer should be as follows if Microsoft were to make such a cut:

elite: $299.99 with increased HD space of 200-250 GB. That way it matches the premium price of the PS3 while having the HD space to justify its premium price.

pro: $229.99 with same specs.

arcade: $169.00 with same specs.

I think if Microsoft stick with my suggested price-cut, along with a couple of huge unanounced new AAA games along with a semi-megaton announement (they seems to have one at every E3 from GTA4 to FFVIII), then I don't see no reason why they shouldn't be able to maintain or increase their lead next year over Sony.

I think that will drive Microsoft bankrupt, especially the 300 buck Elite. This will certainly get them a loss on each console sold.

I think their best bet would be to cut the pro and elite by around 30 bucks each, and keep the Arcade the same. It's reached the magic price.

Microsoft... bankrupt... HAHA, you're kidding right?  They have something like $60-billion in cash on hand, and that doesn't include their even larger line-of-credit.  They could give them away for free and stay in business.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

... then Microsoft will reduce their console to $50 and ask the government for a bailout :P

Ha, Microsoft wins because they are a US company and can ask for a bailout! Not Sony! lolzzzzzzzzz Microsoft wins! Fatality.

I kid.

It's just that simple.

I have mentioned this before, and quite frankly it must scare the shit out of the Sony loyalists. I think this for a simple reason. I have yet to have a single one of them respond to this. Have any of you even stopped to consider what else Microsoft could spend that money on. I know you all have one track minds, but there are other avenues of victory besides having a low price point.

A year ago the conversation revolved around Microsoft buying exclusive games. Why is this no longer on the table for consideration. That is an entirely valid strategy for market dominance in regards to the high end consoles. Microsoft will retain the price point advantage regardless. So why not seize the opportunity to attack Sony on an entirely different front. Not only would it probably be more cost effective, but it would probably be more effective in the console war.

I suppose it would be dependent upon what they bought, but four prime exclusives, followed be a dozen mid range exclusives would be rather devastating in the console wars next year. That would be a fantastic way to turn a good PS3 lineup into a shit lineup. Better yet for Microsoft it could be a real buyers market as developers are more likely to take money up front. Rather then risk the bad economy.

Why settle for one advantage when you can have two advantages. Cutting the price on their console again is nothing but overkill. Securing a library two or three times better then the competition. Now that is traction with gamers that will last for years. No I do not think Microsoft will touch the price at all next year. They will use the money saved to reinvest in other areas advertising, library, or the online service. It just makes more sense for them to go at Sony in more ways then one. As I have said before if Microsoft leads this race on both price point, and software strength there isn't much Sony will be able to do. As a gamer it gets rather hard to look away at a better price followed by two dozen games you need to play.

It will more than likely drop to $300 late next year. Pointless dropping price early in the year because it is slowest selling period. Price cut in September or just before Xmas sales period 2009.

Around the Network

Sony: "GET OVER HERE!!!" MS: "OH NOES!" *Disimbodied voice* : "Finsh Them!"

Sorry MK VS DC on the mind. truth be told it would do better but the way sony's been screwing up it wont be epic or table turning.

:P