By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii (as in tiny) game sales thread.

BrainBoxLtd said:
Zucas said:
BrainBoxLtd said:

This is a really interesting thread.

I got a theory. Seems like a lot of times when popular ninche games come out for the Wii we get some threads here about people having no trouble finding any copies at local retailers. With such of abundance of games being released on the Wii, maybe retailers just buy a small bit of everything and the better games tend to always end up being understocked untill the retailer realizes there's a real demand there. Games like Pool Party and the lot wind up unsold, while games with good word of mouth sell out their meager stock and lead to more restock orders.

For anyone wondering, Monster Lab is an obsecure RPG where you build your own Monsters to fight. IGN gave it an 8, Gamespot and Nintendo Power gave it a 6.5.

Well an interesting theory indeed but its doubtful that's what happens. Remember preorders by retailers are based off of hype not assumption. This is probably why these titles that you call niche but I call mainstream don't sell well early on. Because there is no hype surrounding these titles. So they take a modest preorder and do so for a few weeks and eventually it catches on with the mainstream. Thus they start making weekly preorders which is what legs is. The ability to keep a constant pace of preorders within the retailer such that supply is always there.

So I personally think its the exact opposite. The hyped games or core ones get the big stocks to start off with and will always have that while the mainstream ones have to earn it. Game Party had to earn it and now a store wouldn't want to be without it. Nerf-N Strike seems to be something similar.

How is that the opposite of what I said? Maybe I didn't make it clear what I meant by niche. I simply meant titles neglected in the gaming press. And by "buying a small bit of everything" I meant bit of everything outside the over-advertised nonsense that they buy tons of copies of.

Otherwise, we're pretty much saying the same thing. Games without the blessing of the selective "core" gaming media lunatics (the real niche) tend to only get small orders from retailers. Because of that everyone else (mainstream like you already said) are often underserved until someone realizes the actual demand. Hence these slow upswings in sales that start at next to nothing.

Yea sorry about that.  Just phased me ya know.  Brain fart I suppose.  My bad on that one cause we are sayign the exact same thing and almost word to word.

Ugh guess writing essays for finals does that to ya.

Around the Network
Zucas said:

Yea sorry about that.  Just phased me ya know.  Brain fart I suppose.  My bad on that one cause we are sayign the exact same thing and almost word to word.

In your defense, I could have phrased some things better in that post. Popular niche is oxymoron. =P

It's late, I'm not firing on all cycinders either.

BrainBoxLtd said:
Zucas said:

Yea sorry about that. Just phased me ya know. Brain fart I suppose. My bad on that one cause we are sayign the exact same thing and almost word to word.

In your defense, I could have phrased some things better in that post. Popular niche is oxymoron. =P

It's late, I'm not firing on all cycinders either.

Yea popular niche usually doesn't make sense but it can.  Niche games can be popular its just usually they aren't because by definition they aren't supposed to be haha. 

But yes it is late.  But I usually look at these sales late anyways.

outlawauron said:
noname2200 said:
Khuutra said:
jlauro said:
Khuutra said:
...Are we seriously going to see a Nerf game go gold?

Is that a first?

A game that comes with a gun shell that shoots real nerf darts?   How cool is that!  I was seriously considering when I ran accross it in the store.  It's better then the zapper, even if more over priced...  It's going to sell over 1m...

What.

+1 sales

Behold!

I'm not sure how long it'll keep selling, but over the weekend it seemed (anecdotally) to be the target of many an impulse buy. The local stores didn't seem to move any copies previously: now I can't find these around.

Just passing that on.

Brilliant idea on Nerf's part.

I seen them behind glass a few weeks back at toys-r-us.  Non interesting looking sealed behind glass.

However, at walmart the other day they had a large stack of them (at a high traffic major walkway between video game and toy section) that you could just touch and look at the box.  It's far more tempting that way, especially if you never heard about it, and the game has had little press.  Only one reveiw on metacritic so far, and I don't recally anyone mentioning it prior to launch, so no hype build up.

Given the size of the stack, and the placement, expect Walmart to sell a lot of them this holiday season.

I am not suprised, Wii is the most popular console that sells most of the software, therefore even games that are considered flops in the beginning are able to gain some decent sales. But the Hardcore will still claim that Wii does not move software.

Around the Network

worths noting our lovely purple dragon, who's almost making a comeback:

Sales History

Region Japan America Others Total
Total Sales 0.00m 0.06m 0.02m 0.08m
Week 1 n/a 3,049 8,400 11,449
Week 2 n/a 4,324 11,280 15,604
Week 3 n/a 6,203 n/a 6,203
Week 4 n/a 7,165 n/a 7,165
Week 5 n/a 11,920 n/a 11,920
Week 6 n/a 26,673 n/a 26,673

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Lolcislaw said:
I am not suprised, Wii is the most popular console that sells most of the software, therefore even games that are considered flops in the beginning are able to gain some decent sales. But the Hardcore will still claim that Wii does not move software.

Well we all know the Wii moves Nintendo Software, Shovelware, Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Sometimes all in one title.

Wii Sports
Nintendo 106 803,956 17,322,380
Wii Fit
Nintendo 28 386,840 3,977,738
Wii Play
Nintendo 94 227,883 8,249,949
Mario Kart Wii
Nintendo 31 188,500 4,149,675
Wii Music
Nintendo 6 105,184 358,129
Animal Crossing: City Folk
Nintendo 2 101,289 291,564
Guitar Hero: World Tour
Activision 5 90,553 511,547
Rock Band
Electronic Arts 23 88,487 731,133
NERF N-Strike
Electronic Arts 5 72,565 141,928
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Nintendo 38 67,836 4,344,838

Honestly how different will the Wii top 10 list look next year?

This year has been the first year I have had done any shopping for Wii Software (nephew) and I am amazed at the amount of shovelware being sold for the Wii.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Well dude , i recommend to study American Sales for the week ending 29th of November, and look how all games on the Wii have sold well, even those released few weeks back like De Blob of Star Wars:TFU.

And also i dont see any Shovelware in the Top 10 its filled with fun products.

But keep trolling if that makes you happy.

stof said:
No correction. You probably heard talk of 300,000 world wide. Which is what it's supposed to be if we had Euro numbers.

Yes, according to Capcom the title is at 300.000 worldwide. Not very impressive for such an amazing game.

@Benga: If only Capcom had cared about advertising the game, sales would have been much better, specially since the first one wasn't a hit.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies