By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the 360 reach 20 million in America before the PS3 reachs 10 million?

Kantor said:
I don't think so. But it will be close.

@seece: BioShock was a port of a 14-month old game. BioShock 2's first trailer was released on the PS3, and if that doesn't mean it will be a same day release, I don't know what does.

What? I was never debating whether Bioshock 2 was 360 exclusive?!

What I meant (I thought I got this across, obviously not) is that developers might hold off on ports of games because of the low sales they get, like Bioshock ...

Around the Network

wenn x360 first gets 20Mio., it could be a death-strike to ps3. Truly, i don't see any bright future by sony! The recent sales numbers of sony suck totally.

Pristine20 said:
Tyrannical said:
I don't see major games like Killzone 2 doing any better then the other major games like Resistance FoM 2 or SOCOM. They may sell decent to PS3 owners, but I doubt it will drive someone to buy a PS3 to play it.

If the 360 outsells the PS3 by over 2-1 this holiday, I'd expect to start seeing 3rd party PS3 cancellations.

ookay? they'll ignore 42% of the HD console base...very unlikely with current dev costs. You're implying that games like cod6 will skip the ps3? Yeah right.

Maybe not Cod 6. But certain devs may find it more plausible to do 360 exclusives why? The 360 dev time is far shorter. They can begin making their next game alot sooner. 360 software sales are much much better on average, so spending extra money to dev the game on PS3 with more time needed for instance will likely not make the company extra money. But not doing it would make them extra money in the long run because they could prob dev 3 games in the same time as 2. With the gap increasing more 360 games will be bought than ever before.

seece said:

I agree, the PS3 isn't going to lose any third party support.

Sort of. Big names are safe, smaller devs / niche devs might be interested on single platform due to less overhead, tech budget, less employees to manage... these are either going to be what it's known as "lazy ports", delayed ps3 release or no ps3 version.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

So at the end of the year the numbers will be more like the following:

360 3.7 million away from 20 million
PS3 2.31 million away from 10 million

Think with a PS3 price drop in March and 360 price drop in September it will be close, but think PS3 will get to 10 million before 360 gets to 20 million.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network

will B hell close

I'd say the PS3 will win this one.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

selnor said:
Pristine20 said:
Tyrannical said:
I don't see major games like Killzone 2 doing any better then the other major games like Resistance FoM 2 or SOCOM. They may sell decent to PS3 owners, but I doubt it will drive someone to buy a PS3 to play it.

If the 360 outsells the PS3 by over 2-1 this holiday, I'd expect to start seeing 3rd party PS3 cancellations.

ookay? they'll ignore 42% of the HD console base...very unlikely with current dev costs. You're implying that games like cod6 will skip the ps3? Yeah right.

Maybe not Cod 6. But certain devs may find it more plausible to do 360 exclusives why? The 360 dev time is far shorter. They can begin making their next game alot sooner. 360 software sales are much much better on average, so spending extra money to dev the game on PS3 with more time needed for instance will likely not make the company extra money. But not doing it would make them extra money in the long run because they could prob dev 3 games in the same time as 2. With the gap increasing more 360 games will be bought than ever before.

So Devs will cut their game off from 20M people? No.

Hmmm the 360 hitting 20 million before the PS3 hits 10 million. I don't think it will happen. The PS3 is likely to get price cut in the first quarter of next year. Now if the PS3 doesn't get a price cut then the 360 will hit 20 million before the PS3 hits 10 million.

Highly unlikely.

Remember how one-sided 2007 was?

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 06th Jan 2007 to 29th Dec 2007:

Console PS3 X360
America

The 360 will need to repeat a beatdown of that magnitude in order to achieve this feat. All the PS3 would need is a little spark (price cut, GoW3, GT5, something) within the next year, and it'll hit 10 million first.