By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 to support 400GB Blu Ray Discs!!

PS3 To Support 400GB Blu-Ray Discs

According to a post over at PS3 Fanboy, the 400GB Blu-ray discs that were pioneered by Pioneer earlier this year are compatible with all existing Blu-ray drives - including the PlayStation 3.

Pioneer unveiled the 16-layer Blu-ray discs earlier this year, and even at that time, there was speculation that the existing Blu-ray drives would be able to handle the extra layers.

Though the discs likely won’t be consumer-ready until 2010, which is really not that far away, this definitely causes my mind to race with ideas. To put it into perspective, one 400GB Blu-ray would hold at least 40 times the size of the average Xbox 360 game. Further to this, Pioneer plans to expand the capacity to 1TB in 2013.

That’s a lot of storage!

http://dlb-network.com/2008/12/ps3-to-support-400gb-blu-ray-discs/

Wow that's a whole lot of storage. Don't see it being filled , still amazing though

Around the Network
blazinhead89 said:

PS3 To Support 400GB Blu-Ray Discs

According to a post over at PS3 Fanboy, the 400GB Blu-ray discs that were pioneered by Pioneer earlier this year are compatible with all existing Blu-ray drives - including the PlayStation 3.

Pioneer unveiled the 16-layer Blu-ray discs earlier this year, and even at that time, there was speculation that the existing Blu-ray drives would be able to handle the extra layers.

Though the discs likely won’t be consumer-ready until 2010, which is really not that far away, this definitely causes my mind to race with ideas. To put it into perspective, one 400GB Blu-ray would hold at least 40 times the size of the average Xbox 360 game. Further to this, Pioneer plans to expand the capacity to 1TB in 2013.

That’s a lot of storage!

http://dlb-network.com/2008/12/ps3-to-support-400gb-blu-ray-discs/

Wow that's a whole lot of storage. Don't see it being filled , still amazing though

wow, that disc has more memory than my ps3 hardrive. and i got a 250GB hardrive

if this is released, one day it could replace portable hardrives. but of course not now, but sometime in the future because discs are a lot cheaper to make than portable hardrives.

Great if you want to throw entire hard drives on a blu-ray disk for backup, but this probably wont mean much of anything for games.

^yeah in about 10 years we might need that size for games but not yet

IllegalPaladin said:
Great if you want to throw entire hard drives on a blu-ray disk for backup, but this probably wont mean much of anything for games.

Such a Negative Nancy. Just because developers are straining to turn a profit on 5 gig games doesn't mean that 400 gig ones aren't just around the corner!

Around the Network
badgenome said:
IllegalPaladin said:

Such a Negative Nancy. Just because developers are straining to turn a profit on 5 gig games doesn't mean that 400 gig ones aren't just around the corner!

Question -

Would the PS3 blu ray drive have to spin at a lower speed to be able to read a 400gb disk?

And would that lead to longer load times and bigger installs?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said:
badgenome said:
IllegalPaladin said:

Question -

Would the PS3 blu ray drive have to spin at a lower speed to be able to read a 400gb disk?

I was wondering about that myself.

IllegalPaladin said:

Note that this is purely a read-only device, also manufacturing 16 layer discs is going to be pretty expensive..  Writeing on a 16 layer disc likely is a technological dream at this time. I also doubt that current mass manufactured Blu-ray drives (as the one used in the PS3) are mechanically precise enough to handle 16 layers.

badgenome said:
gebx said:
badgenome said:
IllegalPaladin said:

Question -

I was wondering about that myself.

Would it really matter in the face of 400 Gigs of content?

I have to admit this actually makes me look at the PS3 as somehwat futureproof...almost half a terabyte of data on one disc is no joke.

A 400GB disc would be great for multi-disc blu-ray movies. We could have all the content on a single disc without sacrificing quality.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)