By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Until 2018?

bugrimmar said:
this post is utter crap. there's no way a console can last that long, especially in this age.

and it's not up to Sony. even if Sony wants to keep it around forever, if the third parties and the consumers don't support it, they'll be forced to make a new console.

and that part about developers only scratching the surface on the ps3 is a worthless argument. even if it is true, it's not going to affect anything.

I agree.  Afterall, there were companies still creating games for the NeoGeo up until a few years ago.  It didn't matter, because the sales of the software didn't make a ripple on the gaming market.

You can continue to sell whatever you want, but unless there is a steady stream of quality games for it, it won't matter.

And the old arguement that developers are "only scratching the surface" is starting to get a little old.

It's either not as good as they thought/said, or the cell-technology is too difficult and not cost effective for 3rd party developers.  Either way, it's starting to look as though Sony 800-lb. gorilla might actually just be a 100-lb. chimpanzee.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Around the Network

12 years? XD Yeah right.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Comrade Tovya said:
bugrimmar said:
this post is utter crap. there's no way a console can last that long, especially in this age.

and it's not up to Sony. even if Sony wants to keep it around forever, if the third parties and the consumers don't support it, they'll be forced to make a new console.

and that part about developers only scratching the surface on the ps3 is a worthless argument. even if it is true, it's not going to affect anything.

I agree.  Afterall, there were companies still creating games for the NeoGeo up until a few years ago.  It didn't matter, because the sales of the software didn't make a ripple on the gaming market.

You can continue to sell whatever you want, but unless there is a steady stream of quality games for it, it won't matter.

And the old arguement that developers are "only scratching the surface" is starting to get a little old.

It's either not as good as they thought/said, or the cell-technology is too difficult and not cost effective for 3rd party developers.  Either way, it's starting to look as though Sony 800-lb. gorilla might actually just be a 100-lb. chimpanzee.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=51550&page=1

Check out my game about moles ^

She's probably somebody's only light, gotta shine tonight!

This idea is silly.

Right 2018, with that Amount of RAM? Why not 2030 ?

Around the Network

If PS3 can last till 2018 I think Wii can last till 2020.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Well not 2018, but if I were Sony I wouldn't plan releasing another console until at least 2014. The PS3 is simply a machine ahead of its time. And I think for the good of the industry the length of console cycles has to expand. I really could see 7-8 years cycles ending up as the norm. I don't want to buy a new system every five years, and cost for making games has gone up way too fast. Look how long some of these games take to make, it's rediculous. The game industry will destroy hardcore gaming if it tries to keep going up as fast as it has. Wii 2 will completely take over if Microsoft and Sony aren't careful about this.

KatinJin said:

http://www.ps3daily.co.uk/20081203/sony-ps4-i-dont-think-so/

12 year plan? Sony could be going for the long, long haul here.

All along sony has pushed the 10 year life cycle.  The PS3 debuted in 2006, so expect to see it discontinued in 2016 with a PS4 emerging in 2012-14.  I think they have learned a very valuable lesson though, the PS4 will not be a large jump forward in technology.  Microsoft and Sony will imitae Nintendo and push a console that is only 5-10x as powerful, but will have motion control and other "immersive" technologies.  The days of super powerful consoles are gone, just like the dodo.

Bethesda's Todd Howard "if install base really mattered, we'd all make board games, because there are a lot of tables."

Feel free to add me ...

PSN ID - jedson328
XBL Gamertag - jedson328

jedson328 said:

The days of super powerful consoles are gone, just like the dodo.

I kind of agree......  but we will see right?

umm SONY said it would last 10+ yrs but they didnt say they wouldn't launch a new product either.. Like the ps2 the PS3 will enjoy extra years as a low cost console($99) and fill SONY coffers whereas the PS4 will compete on the high end.. makes a lot of sense

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business