By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Until 2018?

Ssj, I wasn't talking about Sony's business plan. I was talking about fanboy's misinterpretation of their statements. I should have clarified that.

Even so, without the generation lead, Sony will have a hard time living up to that ten year plan.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Ssj, I wasn't talking about Sony's business plan. I was talking about fanboy's misinterpretation of their statements. I should have clarified that.

Even so, without the generation lead, Sony will have a hard time living up to that ten year plan.

I knew what you meant, and I agree with your statement.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

More like 2039

Help I cant get my trophy card to work.

Just look at that girl coming up with that lights coiming up in her eyes.

She's got to be somebody's baby. She's must be somebody's baby.

She's so fine.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Only Sony can do it, and probably will happen

Around the Network

I'll understand if Sony comes out with one by 2011/2012. It would be cool to see them actually support the PS3 for 10 years, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

~Currently Playing Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank: FTOD, and Resistance: Retribution~

Nintendo of Japan kept producing Famicom units up until October 2003...
while it was released in 1983...
thats 20 years... so why not?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

ssj12 said:

You realize the 10 year plan was started with the PS1 right? The PS1's production was ended in 2006... the PS2's will end probably a year before the PS4 is out or maybe a touch sooner. The Ps3 will end running up to the PS5. Its an never ending cycle.

Sony looks at it this way. Sell the new console at a lose while the old console gains them profit. Once the old console becomes worthless and costs more to manufacture than sell, can it.

He has a point though. This is the first losing console from Sony, so the old rules don't necessarily apply. The PS1 and PS2 maintained their appeal for a long time, with their huge software libraries filled with exclusives. How is the PS3 going to maintain that appeal for 10 years?

It's not just about Sony's plans, it's much more about customer's decisions.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Whatever Sony decides to do, when they do decide to release the PS4, they need to guarantee backwards compatibility PS1 thru PS3 on every system (something they had started to do this generation, but dropped on the entry level consoles).

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

this post is utter crap. there's no way a console can last that long, especially in this age.

and it's not up to Sony. even if Sony wants to keep it around forever, if the third parties and the consumers don't support it, they'll be forced to make a new console.

and that part about developers only scratching the surface on the ps3 is a worthless argument. even if it is true, it's not going to affect anything.