By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Until 2018?

Would be GREAT.
It`s all about GAMEPLAY and GAME ART,
with still AMAZING GRAPHICS.

What else would anyone need? =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

Sounds like crap, but I would love it if it were true.

With that being said, technology moves WAY too fast, and in 2018, the PS3 will look like an Atari 2600 in retrospect.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

The article's bases their claim by PS3's Cell technology, while many topics on this site discredit all the awesome things Sony have said (in commercials, etc.) about the Cell. I still see hardly any difference between xbox 360 and PS3 games, the only real advantage PS3 seems to have is blu-ray discs and it does seem like a valid advantage but still not enough.

Endz said:
The article's bases their claim by PS3's Cell technology, while many topics on this site discredit all the awesome things Sony have said (in commercials, etc.) about the Cell. I still see hardly any difference between xbox 360 and PS3 games, the only real advantage PS3 seems to have is blu-ray discs and it does seem like a valid advantage but still not enough.

While I certainly enjoy my Blu-ray player that is built in to my PS3, I really don't think it's an advantage this console generation when it comes to games on Blu-ray discs.  Games can more than sufficiently fit on the 8.55gb that a single sided dual layer DVD allows right now.  Next gen, the Blu-ray may very well pay off for Sony as a game media, but I think it hurt them because of the added disc & console cost this gen. (when I say disc cost, I mean the cost to Sony/3rd parties, because it costs them significantly more to put a game on a BD than a standard DVD, and the eat the cost, not us the consumers)

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

i have a feeling sony will be the one to beat with the ps4.

simply all their cards are in place.

but i havent seen m$ or nintendo cards yet, but sony shows more potential.

Around the Network
Jo21 said:
i have a feeling sony will be the one to beat with the ps4.

simply all their cards are in place.

but i havent seen m$ or nintendo cards yet, but sony shows more potential.

I disagree.  I think Sony & MS will continue to play catchup with Nintendo.  They are ruling this generation, so although it doesn't guarantee a victory next generation, it does mean that the ball is in their court... Sony & MS are on the defense.

I wrote Nintendo off after the N64 was released, I won't make that mistake twice.  They seem to have rekindled that totalitarian spirit that began with the original NES/Famicom.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

DMeisterJ said:
Why does everyone take 10 years so seriously.

It's not ten years until the next console, but ten years of production. Much like the PS1 and soon to be PS2 in 14 months.

the PS1 was in production for what... 13 years?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Comrade Tovya said:

With that being said, technology moves WAY too fast, and in 2018, the PS3 will look like an Atari 2600 in retrospect.

Actually, I believe the 2600 was still in production when the SNES and Genesis were released. If not, at least the Genesis.

Compare the power of those machines and you'll realize just how ridiculous this idea really is.

If Sony thought this way before, the PSOne would still be their primary console or it would have just been replaced. How ridiculous is that thought?

Personally, I like Microsoft's comments about 360 production: We'll produce the 360 for one day longer than the PS3 lifespan.

This "10 year" bullshit needs to end. Consumers are the ones who make this decision, not Sony. With the PS3 staying in third place until at least 2011 given the current gap, there's no way Sony waits until even 2013 to release a new console.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

PS3 is losing money like the original Xbox so they'll probably pull the plug sooner than that.

rocketpig said:
Comrade Tovya said:

Actually, I believe the 2600 was still in production when the SNES and Genesis were released. If not, at least the Genesis.

Compare the power of those machines and you'll realize just how ridiculous this idea really is.

If Sony thought this way before, the PSOne would still be their primary console or it would have just been replaced. How ridiculous is that thought?

Personally, I like Microsoft's comments about 360 production: We'll produce the 360 for one day longer than the PS3 lifespan.

This "10 year" bullshit needs to end. Consumers are the ones who make this decision, not Sony. With the PS3 staying in third place until at least 2011 given the current gap, there's no way Sony waits until even 2013 to release a new console.

You realize the 10 year plan was started with the PS1 right? The PS1's production was ended in 2006... the PS2's will end probably a year before the PS4 is out or maybe a touch sooner. The Ps3 will end running up to the PS5. Its an never ending cycle.

Sony looks at it this way. Sell the new console at a lose while the old console gains them profit. Once the old console becomes worthless and costs more to manufacture than sell, can it.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453