By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Whats the biggest lead the 360 has had over the PS3?

Hyruken said:
Its not about the PS3 being doomed far from it. It is about the console being it's third year and being the furthest behind the 360 then it has ever been. If that number is reached then that is symbolic as would mean since the PS3 has been on release it has not made any gains on the 360.

The PS3 is not doomed, it just looks more and more likely it will be 3rd this generation. If the 360 stopped selling and the PS3 made back 1m a year it would take 7 years to just catch the 360. In 7 years time i think we can safely say we will be talking and maybe playing the next batch of consoles.

Right.

I think that people assume that if the PS3 languages in 3rd place that it means that it's 'doomed'. A console looking at selling 35 million+ consoles is by no means doomed. Yes, doomed to be in 3rd place, but was the N64 'doomed', even after the PS1 outsold it by considerable majorities? No, it still played a viable part in the gabit of gaming.

Now, having said that, by the day, it looks less and less likely that the PS3 will have a good shot at 2nd place - and even if it did win by some miracle, it'd be by such an insignificant margin, it wouldn't be relevant to what the real story of 7th gen was.

Now, for answering the question:

X360 Lead @ PS3 launch: 5.2 million

X360 2nd Best Lead (right before EU launch): 7.1 million

X360 Best Lead (right before PS3 price cut): 7.2 million

Currently after NA/PAL numbers for 11/29/08: 6.7 million

In 2 weeks, the X360 will be at, if not slightly above, the biggest margin between the X360 and PS3.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
seece said:

None of the chartz seem to be helping me find this out.

Based on sold to retailers data, the gap was 8.72 million by the beginning of 2007. This was because the PS3 hadn't launched yet in Europe, by the time the PS3 launched in Europe in March 2007 the gap grew to near 9 million. The 360 had an even larger headstart in some other regions, for South America the PS3 is yet to officially launch, so that's for example a several years headstart.

So 9 million for a 1 year headstart in Japan and Noth America and a 1 year and 5 month headstart for PAL regions (and some less significant areas at that point).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ kowenicki

That's the only factual information we have, deal with it. The rest are estimates, of course the 360 would have had more unsold 360s on the shelves than there were PS3s at retailers, but we can only estimate how many more (if you would believe some 360 fans at the time there weren't that many unsold units ).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

kowenicki said:

at PS3 launch

Highest

Current

6,681,096 (pre Japan numbers)

And you are correct, none of the charts here do have this info, which is why I produce the gap charts each month.  The new ones will be posted as soon as japan numbers are out.

So if the 360 can gain 468,000 on the PS3, the biggest gap will be "right now"... 

And it would almost certainly stay that way until the PS3 got a price drop sometime next year.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

kowenicki said:

@mikeb This website exists solely to analyse and predict sales to consumers and that is what the OP asked. YOU deal with it.

No VGChartz keeps track of shipment figures as well, of course this makes sense when trying to predict sales figures.

And no, the OP did not ask specifically for estimates.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

The lead will be well over 7 million soon...considering how recent weeks have gone

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

MikeB said:

@ kowenicki

That's the only factual information we have, deal with it. The rest are estimates, of course the 360 would have had more unsold 360s on the shelves than there were PS3s at retailers, but we can only estimate how many more (if you would believe some 360 fans at the time there weren't that many unsold units ).

If your only going to use shipped to retailer numbers, why do you even bother coming to VGChartz.com?

And since when does VGC keep track of shipments? That hasn't been updated for over a year and a half!

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

kowenicki said:

I just knew mikeb would show up with his "sold to retail" shipment numbers, he always does on gap or LTD sales numbers discussions.. please ignore him.

This site deals in sold to consumers, not shipment numbers. If you dont like that mike set up your own website.

totally agree . You are 100% correct Kowenicki

The 360 might eclipix that lead of 7.14 before the end of the year then thats just crazy =-)

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

mrstickball said:
MikeB said:

@ kowenicki

If your only going to use shipped to retailer numbers, why do you even bother coming to VGChartz.com?

And since when does VGC keep track of shipments? That hasn't been updated for over a year and a half!

There's a sticky thread regarding shipment data, it's interesting you should read it sometime. And no I don't only use shipment figures, VGChartz, Media Create, NPD, GfK, etc. VGChartz isn't the be all end all though and neither does ioi claim it to be.

PS3 vs 360 sales