By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray: A 2008 Holiday Hit?

FinalEvangelion said:
Comrade Tovya said:
SpartanFX said:
^^^actually,,the disk will have a high price since the manufacturer stopped producing it(the have to contract an entire manufacturing line to start production again for disk and optical)

also no use for movie watching.(no support)

also they still have to pay Toshiba for using their technology.

A) It would be no more expensive than how Nintendo does it with their optical drive technology... and it is only used in the Wii (and previously the GameCube)

B) You can't watch movies on a Wii, and it's still destroying MS & Sony.  Obviously people don't care it can't play movies.

C) The royalties for HD DVD were very small during the battle between Toshiba & Sony, and now that Toshiba has abandoned the technology, the royalties would be even less than before... but the cost would be negligable.

It's a possibility, although it may not go with the consumer as well if they made that statement (thinking 3-4 years from now).  Sony does not have complete control over BD (they can't alone reject or accept licensees of the format).  It is not as proprietary as people think it is to them.  I can't see it being much different than the Xbox 360s ability to play CDs (a format co-patened by Sony), or PS3's capability to play WMV/WMA.

Oh no, I don't mean Sony would try to block a move to use BD technology (nor could they), I mean I'm not sure that MS would be willing to pay the enormous licensing fees associated with it.  Now if Sony were to drop the fees significantly lower by the time the next gen is here, that could change.

But if the new generation were to start today, I guarantee that MS would skip over BD and do something different.  BD capability started off as a strength for Sony when this generation began, and has since turned into a liability.

BD technology has made the PS3 too expensive to dominate the market, and the enormous space capabilities on the discs are way more than is needed (at the moment).

I actually don't think this generational gap between Sony/MS & Nintendo is as big as a deal as some think.  Considering the mass market largely sees the XBOX & Playstation as the same sort of gaming system and the Nintendo as something different, there is the possibility that had only one of the systems (PS3 or XBOX 360) been around for this generation, there sales number would probably be pretty close to being the combined total of their sales now... in other words, neck-in-neck with Nintendo.

I think the fact that Nintendo went their own direction, and the other two followed the same general path caused them to eat at each others market share... and left Nintendo alone to capture their own niche and market share.

Hmm, maybe Sony & MS should join forces in the next gen and make a PS360?  

I think that if Nintendo does integrate HD & hardcore games in the next generation, not all 3 manufacturers will be able to survive viably for a third straight generation.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Around the Network
elnino334 said:
Well it sure hasn't been a hit with any of my friends or family. A few do have a PS3 though they use it play games and when it comes to movies just use ondemand from comcast. Only physical media I buy are video games.

Anecdotal Evidence, FTL?

Comrade Tovya said:
FinalEvangelion said:
Comrade Tovya said:
SpartanFX said:
^^^actually,,the disk will have a high price since the manufacturer stopped producing it(the have to contract an entire manufacturing line to start production again for disk and optical)

A) It would be no more expensive than how Nintendo does it with their optical drive technology... and it is only used in the Wii (and previously the GameCube)

B) You can't watch movies on a Wii, and it's still destroying MS & Sony.  Obviously people don't care it can't play movies.

C) The royalties for HD DVD were very small during the battle between Toshiba & Sony, and now that Toshiba has abandoned the technology, the royalties would be even less than before... but the cost would be negligable.

It's a possibility, although it may not go with the consumer as well if they made that statement (thinking 3-4 years from now).  Sony does not have complete control over BD (they can't alone reject or accept licensees of the format).  It is not as proprietary as people think it is to them.  I can't see it being much different than the Xbox 360s ability to play CDs (a format co-patened by Sony), or PS3's capability to play WMV/WMA.

Oh no, I don't mean Sony would try to block a move to use BD technology (nor could they), I mean I'm not sure that MS would be willing to pay the enormous licensing fees associated with it.  Now if Sony were to drop the fees significantly lower by the time the next gen is here, that could change.

But if the new generation were to start today, I guarantee that MS would skip over BD and do something different.  BD capability started off as a strength for Sony when this generation began, and has since turned into a liability.

BD technology has made the PS3 too expensive to dominate the market, and the enormous space capabilities on the discs are way more than is needed (at the moment).

I actually don't think this generational gap between Sony/MS & Nintendo is as big as a deal as some think.  Considering the mass market largely sees the XBOX & Playstation as the same sort of gaming system and the Nintendo as something different, there is the possibility that had only one of the systems (PS3 or XBOX 360) been around for this generation, there sales number would probably be pretty close to being the combined total of their sales now... in other words, neck-in-neck with Nintendo.

I think the fact that Nintendo went their own direction, and the other two followed the same general path caused them to eat at each others market share... and left Nintendo alone to capture their own niche and market share.

I think that if Nintendo does integrate HD & hardcore games in the next generation, not all 3 manufacturers will be able to survive viably for a third straight generation.

How much does Sony conrol the licensing fees for BD?  I'm legitimately curious.  How much of the decision for licensing costs is between Sony and BDA (rest of the companies)?  Yeah, if MS were to start today then it would be something different.  But, recently, MS has accepted the existance of BD through Vista (they didn't before - only HD DVD).  I assume that requires a small license fee.

Next Gen, PS420 would be the appropriate name.  And actually, that console would sell well just on name itself.

@elnino334 - only DLC I've bought ever was XBL and PSN material, for some anecdotal evidence.  Many of my friends have gone Blu that initially rejected the idea, with several more on the fence.  That's some anecdotal evidence there.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

FinalEvangelion said:
Comrade Tovya said:
FinalEvangelion said:
Comrade Tovya said:
SpartanFX said:

How much does Sony conrol the licensing fees for BD?  I'm legitimately curious.  How much of the decision for licensing costs is between Sony and BDA (rest of the companies)?  Yeah, if MS were to start today then it would be something different.  But, recently, MS has accepted the existance of BD through Vista (they didn't before - only HD DVD).  I assume that requires a small license fee.

Next Gen, PS420 would be the appropriate name.  And actually, that console would sell well just on name itself.

@elnino334 - only DLC I've bought ever was XBL and PSN material, for some anecdotal evidence.  Many of my friends have gone Blu that initially rejected the idea, with several more on the fence.  That's some anecdotal evidence there.

I think the licensing fee scheme for Blu-ray takes a degree in mathematics from MIT to understand.  So good question.

Can you imagine the stability of Sony hardware & Blu-ray combined with the superior OS & online service MS provides?  That would be a killer system.  Probably never going to happen (both Sony & MS want to lead their own ship way too badly).  But one can dream I suppose.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Comrade Tovya said:
FinalEvangelion said:
Comrade Tovya said:
FinalEvangelion said:
Comrade Tovya said:
SpartanFX said:

I think the licensing fee scheme for Blu-ray takes a degree in mathematics from MIT to understand.  So good question.

Can you imagine the stability of Sony hardware & Blu-ray combined with the superior OS & online service MS provides?  That would be a killer system.  Probably never going to happen (both Sony & MS want to lead their own ship way too badly).  But one can dream I suppose.

Well, Square and Enix merged.  Wouldn't seem like a big deal outside of Japan.  But in Japan, no one would ever consider the possibility.  If Nintendo had decided to use the same power level this gen, then MS and Sony would be having alot more trouble with third party support.  They have the funds to do that next gen, but I think they try to stay away from the MS vs. Sony rivalry.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
dbot said:
Attached is a good site that compares Blu-ray to DVD.

http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=710

Can you tell the difference? Look at the colors and detail. Please note, I cannot find their methodology so you should assume the DVD picture is not upscaled.

At first it wasn't all that noticeable to me in the artsy, intro, and up-close shots, but in the crowd scenes, the building shots, and the part with the crystal? Yeah, I suppose that's petty noticeably cleaned up. Not mind-blowing, but it is much sharper.

FinalEvangelion said:
Comrade Tovya said:
FinalEvangelion said:
Comrade Tovya said:
FinalEvangelion said:
Comrade Tovya said:
SpartanFX said:

Well, Square and Enix merged.  Wouldn't seem like a big deal outside of Japan.  But in Japan, no one would ever consider the possibility.  If Nintendo had decided to use the same power level this gen, then MS and Sony would be having alot more trouble with third party support.  They have the funds to do that next gen, but I think they try to stay away from the MS vs. Sony rivalry.

That sounds logical.  I think both Sony & MS are smart enough to have learned a lesson from the gen.  Bigger is not always better.  Innovation is still king.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

@Comrade Tovya

Exactly, but cheap is king as well, if they want to innovate it has to be at a reasonable price for the consumer, like Ninty did with the DS and the Wii...

The Anarchyz said:
@Comrade Tovya

Exactly, but cheap is king as well, if they want to innovate it has to be at a reasonable price for the consumer, like Ninty did with the DS and the Wii...

I said that already, so we are on the same page.

Like I stated before, great price, innovation, crossing over into the realm of the unknown gamer, and an absolutely brilliant marketing scheme. (oh and did I mention they actually MAKE money on their console?)

The mall kiosks that gave folks the hands on Wii "experience", the so-called Wii "shortages" that made people rush to buy one before they were gone, the commercials of 'grandpa' playing the Wii with the grandkids, Nintendo's reputation for "clean gaming", etc, etc.

They really pulled off a coup d'etat this generation.  Everyone picked on the 90-lb. midget until everyone realized that the shrimp knew judo and kicked all their butts.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

CAL4M1TY said:
Well, clearly Blu-ray will have a big christmas, I'm buying my first one after all (Dark knight).

Me too!

I have Casino Royale from the 'Free-Blu-ray-if-you-sign-up-to-PSN-fast-Europe-deal' from way back when, but The Dark Knight will be my first proper Blu-ray purchase.