By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I need help, what exactly is a MOLE in Chemistry?

It's a mole of Hydrogen, lol. Sorry, I don't really understand your question.

Around the Network
zexen_lowe said:
leo-j said:
This is complicated beyond relief, what exactly is a mole

@AJ

What did you do to find that answer?

I'll try to make it simpler. It's just a way to express quantity. A dozen is 12 units of something, a gross is 144 units of something, then a mole is 6.02x10e23 units of something (That's a 6 followed by 23 zeroes)

Avogardro's number is rarely used though, it's irrelevant to most questions.

Aj_habfan said:
zexen_lowe said:
leo-j said:
This is complicated beyond relief, what exactly is a mole

@AJ

What did you do to find that answer?

I'll try to make it simpler. It's just a way to express quantity. A dozen is 12 units of something, a gross is 144 units of something, then a mole is 6.02x10e23 units of something (That's a 6 followed by 23 zeroes)

Avogardro's number is rarely used though, it's irrelevant to most questions.

I used it all the time. I had it permanentely stored in my calc's memory, my professors asked me to make a lot of calculations with it. Still, that's what a mole is, even if it's not practical. A practical definition would be that it's the number you have to have of atoms or molecules so the weight of them is equal to the number in grams that correspond to each element in the periodic table.

Still, the mole number it's like the Regnault constant a.k.a the gas constant (you'll see it in some years). It doesn't matter what it is, the important thing is that it works in every equation

A mole is just a number. This number is the number zexen posted.

You can use this number in multiple ways (to find # of molecules, # of moles, mass).

Ex. Hydrogen (H2), there are 6.02x10e23 molecules of H2 in 1 mole. The mass of this is ~2.0 grams (find this by the molar mass of H2). So if you are given 1.5 grams of H2, you can use the 6.02x10e23 to find out how many moles you have (0.75 moles, assuming I'm not an idiot). Or you could find the number of molecules (multiply 0.75 and 6.02x10e23).

Hope that helped.

Dude Chemistry sucks I hate it :(

Around the Network
ctk495 said:

I'm a chemistry major... I find it quite awesome, thank you very much

Currently playing: Civ 6

cdude1034 said:
ctk495 said:

Even Organic?

^True, Organic Chemistry sucks, the rest of it is pretty cool though

O.T : Just read zexen_lowe's explanation.
He explained it pretty clearly

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

cdude1034 said:
ctk495 said:

Sorry man but my hate towards chemistry is HUGE is my the subject I dislike it the most alongside biology the worst thing is that I'll have to do them along with physics since it's obligatory on my school :(

1 mol of hydrogen (H2 because hydrogen is a diatomic element) = 2.0 grams = 6.02x 10^23 molecules and you can manipulate these to make equalities to find whatever you need.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!