By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray vs upscaled DVD

I have a 40" that's about 6 or so feet away from where I sit and I can't really tell the difference between BluRay movies and upscaled DVD's, though I can only do 720p and 1080i.

Around the Network

Upscaled DVD is good, but Blu-ray is much better and well worth the extra money.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

I can't really tell much of a difference. Certainly not enough to justify the price difference.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

DKII said:
I'm just not a techno-nerd. :p I can't really tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps in games or spot small framerate drops either.

That's the majority position, by the way. :p

i'm not techno nerd either but I don't think it's too hard to notice a framerate drop , differentiating between 30fps and 60fps shouldn't be too hard after a little practice.

heh maybe it's just me.

I'm willing to bet that if I took many of these Blu-Ray boosters and put them in a room with a proper AV set up and had them vote whether content being displayed was upscaled or true 1080p they would perform very poorly unless the content was displayed side-to-side (or back-to-back).

There is a difference that can be seen, but it is not something that most people will notice unless they have something to compare it to directly.

Around the Network

I don't know why anybody really cares. Just as you enjoy your Blu-Ray discs, let people continue to enjoy their DVD's and if they choose, upscaling them. They'll upgrade when they're ready.

Personally, from what I've seen, Blu-Ray does look better but only now am I considering getting a Blu-Ray player and it might still be a little while. I might get a stand alone Blu-Ray player or if there is a good price drop, I might still decide to buy a PS3 despite having just bought an Xbox 360.

I'll come up with something better eventually...

Which is cheaper?

damndl0ser said:
Dno said:

http://fwd.five.tv/videos/news-bluray-vs-dvd-upscale

i laught at people who say that they cant tell which is better lol.

It all depends on what your Entertainment set up is. If you have a tv less than 46 inchs you will not notice. Anything above 57 and it is a huge difference.

I can tell the difference on my 42"

Alasted said:
Which is cheaper?

VHS

skipo said:
lol comparing Blu ray quality in a LCD 46 " 1080P against upscaled DVD it's like comparing F1 car vs freaking small 4 cylinder car... some need glasses urgently if you cannot see any difference between both.

Come back when you know what the hell your talking about.  I have a 46 inch 1080p and a 57 inch 1080p and I actually set my ps3 up against an upscale converter just to see myself ( when I first got my 46 inch ) and there is  little to no difference on the 46 inch JVC.  Both sets are mid to upper quality as well.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!