By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The true difference between AAA and AA

Gamasutra has written an article about a study that measured how much various action games engaged players. Multiple factors drive people to keep playing certain games. What is it about games like Half-Life and Halo that distinguish it and make it so much more compelling to play than say COD 3.

Despite there being many factors that take part in the success of these games there is one recurring theme that seems to have the most weight. That is close combat and the ability to put players in situations where high risk is rewarded.

Here is the full article

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3868/shoot_to_thrill_biosensory_.php

And here is a summary of the article

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21323

It seems to me that games that try to encompass too big a world in a poorly structured manner end up making the player feel disengaged from the experience (resistance is used as an example) where as games that focus on pockets of tight knit heavy recurring action like GoW allow the player to truely engage themselves and have fun.

Any thoughts?

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Around the Network

That is very interesting. I find is especially interesting that cutscenes were actually harmful, and disengaged the players (suck on that one for a while, Kojima). But I can completely relate to that, because games like Half life or COD4 that keep you in the action at all times I feel are far more intense, immersive and engaging than games that have frequent cut scenes.

Also fascinating is how important pacing is. I've felt for a long time that pacing in a game is a far overlooked aspect to a game's quality. It takes alot of level design and fore thought to create an effective experience. Slower down times followed by big battles or intense fights. Lure you into security, give you a minute to come down off your high and then throw you right back up there into something crazy. Or gradually build up the pace into a climactic crescendo, and have the expected reward system of it coming down into something of a breather after the high is hit. Pacing is incredibly important to a satisfying experience.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The difference between AAA and AA?

Hype.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SaviorX said:

Hype.

Thank you for that incredibly insightful comment, now go read the damn article and say something relevant.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

SaviorX said:

Hype.

100% true

You wanna have your opinion, then you have to respect different opinions as well.

Around the Network

A

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Alot of people keep saying hype is the difference but if Halo was all about hype then we wouldn't see it constantly in the most played games on xbox live. COD 4 didn't even open to big numbers or hype but the game was paced so incredibly well both in single and multiplayer that word of mouth made the games sales explode.

Please read the article before commenting. This was a true scientific study that monitored bio-sensory output such as brain waves, heart activity, breathing, blinking temperature and motion.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

The_vagabond7 said:

That is very interesting. I find is especially interesting that cutscenes were actually harmful, and disengaged the players (suck on that one for a while, Kojima). But I can completely relate to that, because games like Half life or COD4 that keep you in the action at all times I feel are far more intense, immersive and engaging than games that have frequent cut scenes.

Also fascinating is how important pacing is. I've felt for a long time that pacing in a game is a far overlooked aspect to a game's quality. It takes alot of level design and fore thought to create an effective experience. Slower down times followed by big battles or intense fights. Lure you into security, give you a minute to come down off your high and then throw you right back up there into something crazy. Or gradually build up the pace into a climactic crescendo, and have the expected reward system of it coming down into something of a breather after the high is hit. Pacing is incredibly important to a satisfying experience.

Every Kojima game is AAA.  CoD4 has cutscenes and is also a great game.

celine said:
A

Beat me to it. lol

Don't Worry.....Be Happy

This makes a lot of sense. Engaging game play makes for a good game. Keep the players excited, but change things up once in awhile. Very cool that someone is using science to determine what makes a good game.

Very interesting article, thanks for posting it.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)