By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - http://www.hideandgeek.com/2008/12/02/how-hardcore-gamers-fell-out-of-love-

It’s far from a secret that Nintendo’s marketing focus has shifted in emphasis over the last few years. After hitting the market with user friendly gaming, Nintendo realised a new segment of the market to give its attention.

It’s also a well published proclamation that this manoeuvre, however prudent it later became, has left Nintendo much less capable of making their mark in the ‘core’ gaming demographic. It could be debated the ‘casual’ gaming market as it stands will be short lived, or that this kind of gaming is here to stay and Nintendo will be at the forefront of casual gaming for ever more. This, however, is not what was intended for this discussion.

How did this happen in the first place? Did Nintendo just decide to ignore the core gamer demographic, or is it the core gamer that fell out of love with Nintendo?

With the exception of Wii, every home console Nintendo has released has sold less globally than its predecessor. The competition in the market has increased dramatically over this time, and Nintendo has suffered because of it. From dominance to desperation, Nintendo was losing market share and shareholders. These years of declining market share prompted Nintendo to make a bold move and venture into uncharted territory in hope of uncovering a new market.

But where did this decline really take off? The market remained relatively stable throughout the NES and SNES generations, with little progression in market trends. The real shake up was introduced by the release of PlayStation, which expanded the market considerably and lifted the boundaries that previous hardware had kept in place. As a result, people wanted more from their games, and the type of gaming Nintendo were promoting at the time was not easily marketable in this new climate. No pre-rendered graphics, plumbers still jumping down pipes and no attempt at ‘realism’. It was, perhaps, these things that drove gamers away from Nintendo, in pursuit of more matured experiences. It could be said that gamers started falling out of love with Nintendo in the mid-90’s.

This trend continued throughout the life of N64 and Gamecube, where other formats were perceived as offering more of what the gamer wants… and they were. This trend has a spiral effect, in that people buy a system, the market is on that system, games go to that system and more people buy that system as a result. This took effect from N64’s inception to the death of the Gamecube, and this is exactly what pushed Nintendo to uncover new markets.

Nintendo has never been able to recover from the effect that Playstation had on the market, making Nintendo formats a hostile place for the core gamer and publishers alike. Even with output of such a high calibre as their core franchises have been offering for many years, it seems Nintendo cannot get Wiimotes in the hands of core gamers.

If there is a reason for “How Nintendo fell out of love with hardcore gamers”, It’s because they fell out of love with Nintendo first.

Around the Network

It's a superficial article with some superficial analysis, and it ignores quite a few things, but there's a modicum of truth hiding in there, methinks.

Edit: Oops. Posted the wrong thing in the wrong place. Sorry folks! Here's the full link...

http://www.hideandgeek.com/2008/12/02/how-hardcore-gamers-fell-out-of-love-with-nintendo/

Boy, that's embarrasing.

Core gamers game on PC. =)

ya, thats just the view of a typical hardcore gamer that's not willing to try out the wii

noname2200 said:

It's a superficial article with some superficial analysis, and it ignores quite a few things, but there's a modicum of truth hiding in there, methinks.

Edit: Oops. Posted the wrong thing in the wrong place. Sorry folks! Here's the full link...

http://www.hideandgeek.com/2008/12/02/how-hardcore-gamers-fell-out-of-love-with-nintendo/

Boy, that's embarrasing.

Really? I assumed you posted the link in the title so people can't click on it to give these people more hits on their website. =P

Around the Network

As a core gamer (do not read as hardcore) who has a Wii I have to say Nintendo consoles have not had very many games that appeal to me for a long time. The Wii happens to now appeal not only to non-core gamers but non-gamers. I've stated it many times but ill state it again, the success of the Wii is that it appeals greatly to non-gamers and non-core gamers which now make up a bulk of the Video Game market. I happen to be a core gamer and do not find my Wii entertaining.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

^^^^ I share the opposite view but in the same category. Games like Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil, Bully, No More Heroes thus far have kept me very entertained and pleased with the Wii. In fact, it's distracted me from a lot of things I need to get done outside of gaming. I still have yet to get SSBB, SMG, Godfather, ToS, MK Wii, on top of heavily desiring games like Fatat Frame 4, which aren't out yet. I don't beat a game per week anymore, but I'm definitely still a core gamer.

@bardicverse,

In terms of time I spend gaming its probably in between hardcore and casual (what I view as the true meaning of those words). I do beat a game a week or get bored with a game within 2 to 3 weeks or 120-160 hours whichever comes first. While Zelda and Metroid are core Nintendo games I play, there isn't much else on the Wii worth my time. But obviously these days the Wii fits a majority of Video Game players these days, so I am a minority.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

^^^ fair enough, tho I think thats a matter of your personal gaming preference, not so much a shift in the audience, tho I can agree there has been one. I'm just saying that your gaming preference has changed moreso than Nintendo has. You've grown apart from Ninty ;)

Nah, Nintendo has always had a good share of core gamers. It was the casual crowd who flocked to the Playstation one and two. Nintendo's focus on clawing those users back (plus a healthy dose of completely new users) has just left some of their core crowd feeling like a forgotten older child, so they act out to try to get attention.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.