By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon quest IX-DS SALES

Seeing how the DS is already the top selling console of all time in japan do you think dragon quest IX, arguably the biggest franchise in japan, be ab le to boost sales? if so by how much?

or will they stay stag?

hello how are you.

Around the Network

DS is a beast by itself, I don't thing DQIX would have such a significant impact as say a new JRPG on 360

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

1.8 mil first week
700k second week

Think for yourself, question authority

It'll be bigger and more bad-ass!...

Nah, just kidding! An opening week just below the best selling entries of the series but a little better legs because of the userbase. Drop-off will be pretty big but not as big as usual with DQ and FF games in Japan!

I'm betting on 1.5-1.6 million first week and 600k 2nd week!... Averaging out at 3 million in Japan lifetime!

THE NETHERLANDS

The week DQIX releases, DS will probably sell 120k.

DQIX will sell 1.7m first week 600k second, 200k third.

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

Around the Network

DQ9 will sell more in Japan than DQ8, Level-5 gained Japan's respect, handheld games are cheaper than console games, and it's Dragon Quest... So i'm guessing 4 to 4.5 million LTD (although first week will be very interesting, DQ8 was the fastest selling PS2 title with 3 million first week, let's see if DQ9 can do that)...

In the West however, the DQ series is still small, DQ8 was the best-selling one and it made in NA 0.5M, and in Europe it did 0.4M... And a lot of people that has a DS is for Brain-Age, Nintendogs, Cooking Mama, etc., the best-selling core game was New Super Mario Bros., so a JRPG like DQ9 will not be that popular, i'm guessing 1 to 1.5 million tops (NA/EU), and i'm being benevolent...

From 2m to 3m on the first days alone. Hard to tell how excited mainstream Japanese people are for it. But it should at least do 2m the first week considering the huge DS fanbase. 5 millions copies in Japan is possible with the huge DS fanbase, it´s not as if a DQ hasn´t reached so high lifetime japanese sales before.

I expect 2.4 million fist week and 1.0 million second week and 0.3 million third week

It'll only boost hardware a little, but I see this one selling millions.

2.3 million 1st week. 4.5 million lifetime.