By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should Sonic be like Mario?

patjuan32 said:
BMaker11 said:
You mean having something along the lines of Sonic, Sonic 2, Super Sonic Adventures, Super Sonic Adventures 2, Sonic and Friends, Super Sonic Galaxy, Super Sonic Bros. etc. and then have Sonic be in every possible sports game ever along with cameos in various other games?

No, he should not be like Mario

Dude, you lie. If Sega could make Sonic games of that quality and the caliber of the Mario games you listed. I know you would own every one of them as well as every one else. Mario games sells because they are good.

On topic: I think Sega should do more Mario and Sonic games. I can see them team up in an RPG like the Super Mario RPG for the Snes or the Mario and Luigi RPGs. This would allow Sega the opportunity to develop Sonic more as a character and flesh out his abilities.

I'm sorry, but I'm just tired of stepping on goombas, eating mushrooms to get big, and saving a princess from a giant tortoise. Guess it's just me.....

And quite frankly, I don't want to see Sonic playing basketball in NBA Street or making guest appearances in completely irrelevant games

Around the Network

Guys can we please avoid turning this into an argument about Mario?

Please?

BMaker11 said:
patjuan32 said:
BMaker11 said:
You mean having something along the lines of Sonic, Sonic 2, Super Sonic Adventures, Super Sonic Adventures 2, Sonic and Friends, Super Sonic Galaxy, Super Sonic Bros. etc. and then have Sonic be in every possible sports game ever along with cameos in various other games?

Dude, you lie. If Sega could make Sonic games of that quality and the caliber of the Mario games you listed. I know you would own every one of them as well as every one else. Mario games sells because they are good.

On topic: I think Sega should do more Mario and Sonic games. I can see them team up in an RPG like the Super Mario RPG for the Snes or the Mario and Luigi RPGs. This would allow Sega the opportunity to develop Sonic more as a character and flesh out his abilities.

I'm sorry, but I'm just tired of stepping on goombas, eating mushrooms to get big, and saving a princess from a giant tortoise. Guess it's just me.....

And quite frankly, I don't want to see Sonic playing basketball in NBA Street or making guest appearances in completely irrelevant games

Yea like collecting rings while moving fast through stages and destroying robots in your way, all this to defeat a doctor that always seems to try to use the power of a monster that ends up disobeying him and exactly has the potential to destroy the world.. that isn't getting old.. is it?

Pixel Art can be fun.

Khuutra said:

Please?

Only relating to the topic. Should Sonic be like Mario? Look at all that's happened throughout the years of Mario (as I pointed out, nothing but goomba smashing and princess saving aka repetitiveness...along with a billion cameos) and in the end, it's just backing up my opinion that Sonic should NOT be like Mario. Really, it's just replying to the topic

BMaker11 said:
Khuutra said:

Please?

Only relating to the topic. Should Sonic be like Mario? Look at all that's happened throughout the years of Mario (as I pointed out, nothing but goomba smashing and princess saving aka repetitiveness...along with a billion cameos) and in the end, it's just backing up my opinion that Sonic should NOT be like Mario. Really, it's just replying to the topic

But the OP isn't asking if it should play like Mario. The OP is asking if the series should have games coming out less often but with higher levels of polish.

Around the Network
SmokedHostage said:
BMaker11 said:
patjuan32 said:
BMaker11 said:

Yea like collecting rings while moving fast through stages and destroying robots in your way, all this to defeat a doctor that always seems to try to use the power of a monster that ends up disobeying him and exactly has the potential to destroy the world.. that isn't getting old.. is it?

Exactly why nobody's bought a Sonic in forever lol

Khuutra said:
BMaker11 said:
Khuutra said:

Please?

But the OP isn't asking if it should play like Mario. The OP is asking if the series should have games coming out less often but with higher levels of polish.

Oh...in that case....still no. I don't want to see Sonic beating Eggman 35 years from now, which if Sega takes the Nintendo route, Sonic will STILL be here for that amount of time

disolitude said:
kylohk said:

I'd hope Mario would be more like Sonic and have more frequent games in the series!

A mario game is no greater than the olympics or world cup, yet we see one new game every 6 years!

As for Sonic Unleashed, I really liked both the day time and werehog stages. What I don't like however, is a completely 2D Sonic game in a 3D capable console. 2D games stay on handhelds.

Here are all the games Mario has made apperances in the last 2 years (2007-2008). Quite a lot... Sonic makes lots of games, but mario makes more.

Mario Kart Wii

Mario Super Sluggers

Mario Strikers Charged

Mario Party DS

Mario Party 8

Super Mario Galaxy

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

Super Paper Mario

Wario Land: Shake It

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Sonic and the Secret Rings

Mario & Sonic at the Olympics

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Sonic Riders

Samba Da Amigo

Sega Tennis Superstars

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic & the Black Knight

Sonic Rush

Sonic Rush Adventures

Sonic Chronicles

11 Sonic Titles (or appearances) on Nintendo platforms vs 9 Mario in past 2 years.   Both have 8 appearances on Wii.  So pretty equal really.   Both are terribly overused.

OT: Sega does not have to go every 5-6 years like Mario but I think ALL franchises should only come out with a new addition when they have a great game that propels the franchise forward and not this yearly money grab crap.

Gamerace said:
disolitude said:
kylohk said:

I'd hope Mario would be more like Sonic and have more frequent games in the series!

A mario game is no greater than the olympics or world cup, yet we see one new game every 6 years!

As for Sonic Unleashed, I really liked both the day time and werehog stages. What I don't like however, is a completely 2D Sonic game in a 3D capable console. 2D games stay on handhelds.

Here are all the games Mario has made apperances in the last 2 years (2007-2008). Quite a lot... Sonic makes lots of games, but mario makes more.

Mario Kart Wii

Mario Super Sluggers

Mario Strikers Charged

Mario Party DS

Mario Party 8

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Paper Mario

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Sonic Riders

Samba Da Amigo - this really isnt a sonic game

Sega Tennis Superstars

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic & the Black Knight

Sonic Rush - 2005 game

Sonic Rush Adventures

Sonic Chronicles

11 Sonic Titles (or appearances) on Nintendo platforms vs 9 Mario in past 2 years.   Both have 8 appearances on Wii.  So pretty equal really.   Both are terribly overused.

OT: Sega does not have to go every 5-6 years like Mario but I think ALL franchises should only come out with a new addition when they have a great game that propels the franchise forward and not this yearly money grab crap.

Good reply.  Few kinks Ive pointed out above but point taken...

disolitude said:
Gamerace said:
disolitude said:
kylohk said:

Mario Kart Wii

Mario Super Sluggers

Mario Strikers Charged

Mario Party DS

Mario Party 8

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Paper Mario

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Sonic Riders

Samba Da Amigo - this really isnt a sonic game (My argument about Wario Land: Shake It)

Sega Tennis Superstars

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic & the Black Knight

Sonic Rush - 2005 game (True)

Sonic Rush Adventures

Sonic Chronicles

Good reply.  Few kinks Ive pointed out above but point taken...

Fixed it.

Pixel Art can be fun.