By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Any idea what game might be the Earthbound of this generation?

Do you think that EarthBound's current cult status was supported by people who legitimately bought the game? Not entirely.

The cult status has more to do with its longevity and its presence in the discourse more than its sales, I think. Mother 3 is going to be a cult hit, at least in the West.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Do you think that EarthBound's current cult status was supported by people who legitimately bought the game? Not entirely.

The cult status has more to do with its longevity and its presence in the discourse more than its sales, I think. Mother 3 is going to be a cult hit, at least in the West.

You're right, but Earthbound was attached to a very popular SNES emulation program preloaded. It also benefitted from incredible word of mouth from those that did buy the game originally. Even now, Mother 3 was sought after because of the allure of Earthbound, not it's own good word of mouth. Basically it's piggybacking the cult status of Earthbound, but I think it's limited availability and the fact that it requires a patch to be understood will keep it from gathering a significant word of mouth of it's own.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I think for last gen for me it was at least Xenogears! I loved that game so much I refuse to believe the Xenosaga trilogy even exists lol...

as for this gen as has been mentioned its hard to see without knowing what game will attach to people's great titles. From games that have been mentioned I can see okami being one of them.... I definitely would love to see captain rainbow haha but that wouldn't probably qualify who knows

“When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life." - author unknown

Onyxmeth said:
Khuutra said:

You're right, but Earthbound was attached to a very popular SNES emulation program preloaded. It also benefitted from incredible word of mouth from those that did buy the game originally. Even now, Mother 3 was sought after because of the allure of Earthbound, not it's own good word of mouth. Basically it's piggybacking the cult status of Earthbound, but I think it's limited availability and the fact that it requires a patch to be understood will keep it from gathering a significant word of mouth of it's own.

It'll be much.... uh... cultier.

...Yeah I got nothing.