By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Any idea what game might be the Earthbound of this generation?

in order to meet earthbound status

Additional Criteria:

1) Marginal/No marketing whatsoever (in U.S. that is)

2) Poor sales, comparatively speaking (and they wonder why)

3) Rapid cult following 10+ years after release

4) RPG (has to be, because of unique experience and replay value)

5) Has to involve a character named Poo

Fact: Earthbound is the greatest game ever made

Around the Network

And Okami aswell <3.  And ICO and SOTC?

konnichiwa said:

And Okami aswell <3.  And ICO and SOTC?

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus were last gen. ICO is definitely a contender for that gen though, along with Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I think Disgaea: Hour of Darkness aptly fits onyxmeth's third option (the second one as well, with the exception of the setting). But that was last generation.

I have no idea about this generation, perhaps we've yet to see/hear of it.

No game will ever come close to earthbound both in charm and following. Do you honestly think that ico okami au shadow od colossus will get something as big as starmen. Opona could have something in common with earthbound but they are defenetly not playing in the same league. Oh and please forget about LBP, it might be very good, but it has nothing to do with "feelings". The only game worthy of the earthbound quality title is mother 3 period

Around the Network

In terms of originality, quirkiness and lack of proper commercial success in North America, Patapon, Crush and Dead Head Fred are the most similar to Earthbound for this console generation. That being said, only Patapon has any chance of developing a cult-like following considering the fact that people went out of their way to avoid the other titles.

Onyxmeth said:
tehsage said:
Onyxmeth said:

There are many ways to look at this, so you should be clearer.

1. Maybe you are asking which game will be bundled with it's own strategy guide.

2. Maybe you are asking which game will be an RPG that takes place in suburbia and is light hearted in nature, but with quick witted humor.

3. Maybe you are asking which game will be the quintessential cult status title of this generation.

I suppose you mean the latter, since you mentioned Little Big Planet, but I honestly think it'll sell far too much to be considered to have cult status. Maybe Braid could be it.

That one.

Ok. So I stand by my statement that LBP will sell far too much to warrant a longing cult status. Plus it's had too much marketing put behind it. Here are some choices I see being realistic thus far:

No More Heroes
Braid
MadWorld
Brutal Legend

I'm drawing a blank after these. Maybe i'll think of more later.

Don't forget Zack and Wiki

Don't Worry.....Be Happy

Elite1 said:
Onyxmeth said:
tehsage said:
Onyxmeth said:

1. Maybe you are asking which game will be bundled with it's own strategy guide.

2. Maybe you are asking which game will be an RPG that takes place in suburbia and is light hearted in nature, but with quick witted humor.

3. Maybe you are asking which game will be the quintessential cult status title of this generation.

I suppose you mean the latter, since you mentioned Little Big Planet, but I honestly think it'll sell far too much to be considered to have cult status. Maybe Braid could be it.

That one.

Ok. So I stand by my statement that LBP will sell far too much to warrant a longing cult status. Plus it's had too much marketing put behind it. Here are some choices I see being realistic thus far:

No More Heroes
Braid
MadWorld
Brutal Legend

I didn't forget it. I don't think Zack and Wiki will last the test of time.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Pharaoh said:
in order to meet earthbound status

Additional Criteria:

1) Marginal/No marketing whatsoever (in U.S. that is)

Bull!

Earthbound had a massive marketing campaign in the U.S.

It was just a crappy one that told us nothing about the game...

Onyxmeth said:
Elite1 said:
Onyxmeth said:
tehsage said:
Onyxmeth said:

That one.

No More Heroes
Braid
MadWorld
Brutal Legend

I didn't forget it. I don't think Zack and Wiki will last the test of time.

Well MadWorld hasn't been realeased so I dont know how you can include it. As for Zack and Wiki I believe it to be above No More Heroes as it does more for its genre then NMH.

Don't Worry.....Be Happy