By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Any idea what game might be the Earthbound of this generation?

One thing I really wish is that I was my age now back in the SNES era so I could purchase all the amazing games I missed. One of them is definitely Earthbound. 

After reviewing all the games that have come out so far this gen, any idea what game will be the next Earthbound? I'm thinking LBP but I dunno.

Around the Network

What defines the "Earthbound of this generation"? If it's how trippy a game is then I vote for Everyday Shooter.

I think we will never see something as Earthbound again or something that we can compare with it.

There are many ways to look at this, so you should be clearer.

1. Maybe you are asking which game will be bundled with it's own strategy guide.

2. Maybe you are asking which game will be an RPG that takes place in suburbia and is light hearted in nature, but with quick witted humor.

3. Maybe you are asking which game will be the quintessential cult status title of this generation.

I suppose you mean the latter, since you mentioned Little Big Planet, but I honestly think it'll sell far too much to be considered to have cult status. Maybe Braid could be it.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:

1. Maybe you are asking which game will be bundled with it's own strategy guide.

2. Maybe you are asking which game will be an RPG that takes place in suburbia and is light hearted in nature, but with quick witted humor.

3. Maybe you are asking which game will be the quintessential cult status title of this generation.

I suppose you mean the latter, since you mentioned Little Big Planet, but I honestly think it'll sell far too much to be considered to have cult status. Maybe Braid could be it.

That one.

Around the Network

We won't know until 3 to 4 years after the release of the game. Earthbound's legacy was established after this period, as the game that beckoned its players back into her bosom with a loving embrace. It was only after I had played countless other rpgs that I remembered the love and compassion this game gave me every time I switched on the snes.

A specific game, I know not

Fact: Earthbound is the greatest game ever made

If you're asking which game Nintendo will needlessly refuse to release in America,the answer is Captain Rainbow. Honors would have gone to Fatal Frame and Disaster if they didn't just recently get confirmed.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
tehsage said:
Onyxmeth said:

That one.

Ok. So I stand by my statement that LBP will sell far too much to warrant a longing cult status. Plus it's had too much marketing put behind it. Here are some choices I see being realistic thus far:

No More Heroes
Braid
MadWorld
Brutal Legend

I'm drawing a blank after these. Maybe i'll think of more later.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:
tehsage said:
Onyxmeth said:

That one.

Ok. So I stand by my statement that LBP will sell far too much to warrant a longing cult status. Plus it's had too much marketing put behind it. Here are some choices I see being realistic thus far:

No More Heroes
Braid
MadWorld
Brutal Legend

I'm drawing a blank after these. Maybe i'll think of more later.

I agree with No More Heroes but hasn't that sold over one million copies?

I'm unsure about MadWorld though...

I would add Castle Crashers aswell....