By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hard to play Resident Evil: ReMake after playing RE4...

Khuutra said:
Benga I think you are exaggerating

You can say a lot of things about RE4, but not that it is for sissies.

Only in comparisson with REmake. RE4 is a superb game in its own right and can be quite tough, REmake is of a totally different level though.

Don't get me started on number of bullets, herbs, puzzles, carry capacity etc again!

Around the Network

@BengaBenga

I did start with Jill and I was getting worked on by the zombies because I couldn't work around the controls. And RE4 isnt for sissies either bra. That game is a true experience that is worth playing on the Wii, PS2 or Gamecube.

BengaBenga said:

And there I am! Lol!

Let me keep it civilized: Yes it's normal that you hate the controls, but you'll get used to it in an hour or so.
Once you've pushed through that enormous learning curve one of the most hardcore, deep and amazing games lies waiting for you. After you've finished it you'll feel great that you've played it and will think RE4, however great it is, is for sissies.

Edit: Oh and for heavens sake: start with Jill!!!

This.

And yes, RE4 is for sissies.

What have you done to my childhood, capcom? *cries

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

RE4 was the shit. My favorite RE, and I've played them all.

I like change, and RE4 changed for the better.

BengaBenga said:
Khuutra said:

Only in comparisson with REmake. RE4 is a superb game in its own right and can be quite tough, REmake is of a totally different level though.

Don't get me started on number of bullets, herbs, puzzles, carry capacity etc again!

Exactly that's what scares me about the game, is all those darn puzzles and capcity that whole menu setup is really weird and poor when you compare it to the vastly options you can do in RE4. 

And REmake is a totally different level. It's more targeted for those that followed the series and were fans of the original setup.

Around the Network
xlost7 said:
Dang it BengaBenga, i was hoping you wouldn't show up either.

Exactly my point it is way to hardcore for me to get into the game. Just moving the analog stick in a direction and then running, idk. It's just confusing at best. The zombies were eating me alive when I was trying to avoid them. I was only at the first part of the game. And I managed to get the arrow and go to the graveyard and I died.

I need full control over the camera. It is a deep experience I know it is. That's why I want to play it, but the controls are freaking clunky!!!

lol, I know, it's horrible in the beginning (and believe me you'll die a lot in this game), but the experience is worth it. I wanted to throw my controller through my TV more than once (probably more then 20 times) out of frustration. But the inability to control also makes the game much scarier.

The story is the best of all RE's and the atmosphere is the best of any game I ever played. Oh, and the puzzles are beyond extreme.

BengaBenga said:
Khuutra said:

All right, all right, that's a fair point, but RE4 has one thing that the REmake doesn't:

Dynamic difficulty adjustment.

It's somehting that not many people are aware of, but you can tell Mikami was really into it that year. The longer you go without dying, the scarcer ammo gets, the more numerous enemies are, the faster they are, the more accurate they are, and the more damage they do.

This was especially relevant in the Wii version of the game, where ammo was made more scarce in favor of giving the player lots of cash.

The problem in RE4 isn't that it's hard to die, because you will die a lot most of the time, especially on Professional. The problem is that whereas the protagonists in proper Resident Evil games (including RE2 Leon) get their butts kicked by the undead, RE4 Leon is the ultimate All-American Ass-Kicker Supreme. It's difficult to be scared or even intimidated when you're just that bad-ass.

The fight with the Right Hand was still pretty scary, though.

RE4 is just not scary enough.... it's half way between a 3rd person shooter and a survival horror, and is not top of the league in either category.

For what it is, it is a brilliant game though, I have it on the Wii and have gone through about 15 times on various difficulty levels and making up various rules of my own (only using old guns or something) and played for almost 185 hours (just short of Twilight Princess, and only Mario Kart Wii is above TP)

REmake is perhaps the pinnacle (or at least pretty high up the list) of the top survival horror games... which for the most part are ABOUT your struggle with the controls.

Khuutra said:
BengaBenga said:
Khuutra said:

All right, all right, that's a fair point, but RE4 has one thing that the REmake doesn't:

Dynamic difficulty adjustment.

It's somehting that not many people are aware of, but you can tell Mikami was really into it that year. The longer you go without dying, the scarcer ammo gets, the more numerous enemies are, the faster they are, the more accurate they are, and the more damage they do.

This was especially relevant in the Wii version of the game, where ammo was made more scarce in favor of giving the player lots of cash.

The problem in RE4 isn't that it's hard to die, because you will die a lot most of the time, especially on Professional. The problem is that whereas the protagonists in proper Resident Evil games (including RE2 Leon) get their butts kicked by the undead, RE4 Leon is the ultimate All-American Ass-Kicker Supreme. It's difficult to be scared or even intimidated when you're just that bad-ass.

The fight with the Right Hand was still pretty scary, though.

If the difficulty is already at Insane to start with, that isn't really needed I guess...
Well, a little easier wouldn't have hurt I guess.

Exactly that's what scares me about the game, is all those darn puzzles and capcity that whole menu setup is really weird and poor when you compare it to the vastly options you can do in RE4. 

And REmake is a totally different level. It's more targeted for those that followed the series and were fans of the original setup.

It will definitely take patience and some time, but you'll also have played one of the toughest/scariest/greatest games ever made. Just accept that it's not an easy game (and try the C-control option, a lot of people like that).

@TWRoO, BengaBenga

I see your point, if the controls are that hard to make the experience scarier then by no means. I will pick up the controller again and play through it again.

It's not a frustrating game, its the controls that make me pissed because I'm use to RE4 controls. Because in RE4 you have control over absolutely everything.