By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Blockbuster - seriously?

FreeTalkLive said:
DKII, what? A 5 day rental is $9. Even if your blockbuster lets you turn it in a week late, that is still $9 for 10 days. It would be another $9 for 10 more days, right? $18 for 20 days. $36 for 40 days. $45 for 42 days.

no, it doesn't work that way. Blockbuster got chewed out and lost a class action lawsuit over their rental policy. So to prevent that from happening again they changed it to the following.

$$ for 5 day movie/game rental

No late fees ever.

Some stores (not all) charge a $2 restocking fee if it is >7 days(??) after the due date.

If you have the game out for 31 days after (i think) the 10th day, then you buy it.

So you can have a game/movie out for 12 days and only pay the original rental fee.

You can have it out for ~40 for only original fee + $2 (depending on store)

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

nordlead:

Really? That... sounds easily, deliciously exploitable.

It is. I rented the Godfather, and beat all but the last family house before I returned it 2 weeks after I got it (don't like paying the $2 restock fee)

You just have to mark down a nice reminder that you can't possibly miss so you aren't overcharged and forced to buy the game.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Go family video I think its like 5 bucks for 7 days there

UMM, 14.95 a month for 2 games at a time through Gamefly, or 36 a month for 2 games with a possibility of late charges if returned late and the need to return and re-rent if wanting to keep it past a week.

I was shocked when I went to rent a game and it shot up from 7 to 9. I thought 7 was bad enough, but 9.........that just gives me no reason to go there any longer. Netflix is cheaper and actually has BD movies and Gamefly while slow at times is way cheaper.

Around the Network

It is $6.50 where I live, but I haven't rented a game from Blockbuster since around May, so the price may have changed since then.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Family video rocks. They have free movies at mine, you just take 'em. No charge. Bad...ass. Or rent 2 or 3 movies for a dollar....A DOLLAR.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

i remembered the days i use to rent snes games at bb for 3$ i quess the price went up cause they let u keep em longer the no pay late fee good thing i don't rent games at bb anymore i have a secret way of renting games that's free

Play Me

Khuutra said:
nordlead:

Really? That... sounds easily, deliciously exploitable.

Yup.  I've kept out some games that are good for multiplayer but I didn't want buy for myself (Red Steel, Mario Party 8, Mario & Sonic, MoH: Vanguard, etc.) for a little over a month so I could invite people over multiple times without having to re-rent them.  No real limits on how many you can get out at once, and no waiting for stuff to arrive in the mail.

With something like Gamefly I always feel pressured to play as fast as possible so I can make the most out of the monthly fee.  Blockbuster is always ~$9 for ~12 days or ~$11 for 6 weeks so I don't get stressed out over it.

Movies have a similar thing, we often get out 8 or so movies at a time and watch them over a couple of weeks whenever we feel like it, can't do that with Netflix limits.

Of course the real way to "rent" games is to buy used from GameStop and then return the game for a full refund a couple weeks later, free rental. ;>

Doesn't sound like TOO bad of a deal....

4 ≈ One