By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Retail Musings: Holiday 2008 Edition

I meant to post this yesterday, but got home today to find the quick reply box sitting wide open with this still sitting in it:

GameStop

New Orleans, Louisiana

I go into work today, and I'm looking around. We've completely sold out of the Last Remnant, and LBP sales seem to have picked up a bit (though that was expected, now that it's post-Black Friday). By boss claimed to have personally sold "3-4" copies of the game yesterday, and I sold one myself today. We now only have one copy left, and it looks like we sold as many over the past two days as we had pre-ordered originally.

We've thus far sold ONE copy of Wii Music since release. We've also had one traded in, though I'm not sure if it's the same one.

I also sold one copy of Fable II, and I'm sure both it and Gears 2 are selling at a steady quip.

Somebody traded in a copy of the Resistance 2 special edition. Who spends an extra $20 on a game just to trade it in? Every time I see a used copy of an LE I just shake my head.

Around the Network

Location - Parsippany NJ

Store: Shoprite Grocery Store

1 XB360 on sale for $250 - 20 GB HD? Anyone know what version that is? Not elite, Im sure. , 1 Wii, also $250.

Note - WTF are consoles doing in a grocery store??

makingmusic476 said:

We've thus far sold ONE copy of Wii Music since release. We've also had one traded in, though I'm not sure if it's the same one.

*snort*

makingmusic476 said:

I meant to post this yesterday, but got home today to find the quick reply box sitting wide open with this still sitting in it:

GameStop

New Orleans, Louisiana

I go into work today, and I'm looking around. We've completely sold out of the Last Remnant, and LBP sales seem to have picked up a bit (though that was expected, now that it's post-Black Friday). By boss claimed to have personally sold "3-4" copies of the game yesterday, and I sold one myself today. We now only have one copy left, and it looks like we sold as many over the past two days as we had pre-ordered originally.

I also sold one copy of Fable II, and I'm sure both it and Gears 2 are selling at a steady quip.

Somebody traded in a copy of the Resistance 2 special edition. Who spends an extra $20 on a game just to trade it in? Every time I see a used copy of an LE I just shake my head.

Your LBP comment seems to resonate with ioi's comment that LBP sales 'picked up'.  This can only mean good things for sackboy!

ioi's comment?

Around the Network

Store: Walmart

Date: BF

Visiting the folks for Thanksgiving. Was at Walmart getting the $130 Magnavox Blu Ray player and saw Wiis and 360s get grabbed up the second it hit 5:00. I almost didn't get my player but I was able to snatch 1 for me and 1 for a bud of mine. Store was batshit crazy for the first 10 minutes and then it cooled down.

Store: Super Walmart

Date: Black Friday 5am

Musings: 360 Bundles in many people's carts, Wii, & Wii Fit sold out in m inutes. They had more 360's than Wii's and both sold like crazy. PS3 wasn't in demand. Lots of DS in stock, tons of DS games selling. Initial thought was 360 might > Wii if there are more available (quickly came to my senses though, but I beleve this will be the 360's closest week to Wii in 2008).

Guitar Hero > Rock Band by a large amount, World Tour was huge, and they had bundles for all the other versions based on what was availab,e for each console. Seems like the entire Guitar Hero catalog was selling EXTREMELY well that morning.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Store: GameStop

Date: Black Friday 7 am
Musings: 360, Wii & Wii fit top 3 items. Wii Fit sold out immediately (they had a pretty big supply). GH > RB here as well. Guitar Hero Aerosmith was seeling well for PS2 & Wii (it was on sale for for $19.99) Both DS Guitar Hero games were selling very well.

Gears of War 2 selling, Call of Duty WAW selling, but not as much as GOW. Samba de Amigo sold out as well (on sale for $19.99)

DS games selling briskly, several used PS2 system sales, lots of PS2 used games (they were B2GO free).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Store: GameStop

Date: Black Friday 8 am
Musings: 360, Wii. Wii Fit already sold out. GH > RB here (third place I saw this). 360 and DS games were selling the most. Samba de Amigo sold out here as well due to the sale price. Gamestop might finally sell off their initial shipments this week!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall: It was a massive day for the 360. While I was shopping I saw only 360's and Wii's selling.

Biggest losers: Sony didn't even come out to play today! Wii Music, Shaun White HD Versions

HW: Wii > 360 > DS > PSP > PS3 > PS2
SF: 360>DS>Wii>PS2>PS3>PSP
Guitar Hero > Rock Band

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

nice info guys, keep them coming

makingmusic476 said:
ioi's comment?

I think he means from this:

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2604

"Strong software performers were LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2, Call of Duty: World at War and Guitar Hero: World Tour."

edit: oh I just saw R2 was included. thats pretty cool.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

so so far wii, and 360 sales are impressive, PS3 good sales.