By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much would an Apple console sell?

leo-j said:
Bitmap Frogs said: 

Posting Under the Influence?

My understanding was sony had $48 billion as a company

We're talking wether Apple has 25B in the bank or not.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

Bitmap Frogs said: 

But how can a company with 25B aqcuire a company with 48B?

mM

It depends how much market share they could steal from Nintendo. If they entered the market I would say they would position themselves between Nintendo and Microsoft/Sony. Their angle would probably go between leveraging their Apple TV type ideas with some sort of innovative computer interface, essentially they would attempt to make a PC for the living room and build up and down from there.

Tease.

Bitmap, stop being condescending. Show a proper series of links that can "prove" that Apple could purchase Sony or stop acting like you're above the other posters. Hunter, you're also warned for your post directed towards Bitmap.

Man, the forums are just awful.

Around the Network

iplay would be awesome.

leo-j said:
Bitmap Frogs said: 

But how can a company with 25B aqcuire a company with 48B?

While not entirely definitive of a companies worth, currently Sony's market cap is 19.45B, so an offer of $25 billion could possibly be taken up by the share holders as they would profit from it.

MontanaHatchet said:
Bitmap, stop being condescending. Show a proper series of links that can "prove" that Apple could purchase Sony or stop acting like you're above the other posters. Hunter, you're also warned for your post directed towards Bitmap.

Man, the forums are just awful.

Ok, boss. Can I blame it on late-sunday-almost-monday syndrome?

And here come public apologizes towards everyone involved, specially mr. Bubbles.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Apple has two 'consoles' already. Ipod and Iphone, they aren't that different from psp as technologically anymore. For example Patrick Gunn(EA) said that upcoming Need for Speed undercover is just about the same on iphone as on psp.

Gunn says that EA has "taken full advantage of all of the unique elements... like touch, flick, accelerometer, and motion sensitivity" -- and graphically, the game appears to be roughly on par with a PSP title.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21187
http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/games.html

Handhelds will be in trouble when mobile phones and mp3 players have more processing power than them.

They have alot going in their favour

They have experience making reliable hardware - so a RROD situation is unlikely
They have experience making exremely easy to use software - good user interface
They have a loyal fanbase

They also have alot of things they woud need to work on
In the case of their C's, they only focus on the upmarket, high end devices. They can't do this with consoles
They have no 1st party studios (yet)

It'd hopefully do well