By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much would an Apple console sell?

very well. the pippin wasnt theirs they made the tech and sold it to bandai because BANDAI wanted in on the market. and it was ahead of its time, wireless controllers and i believe it even had USB ports

i think they have a good chance of 30million consoles sold on their first gen, unless its amazing then it could take number 1.

Around the Network

No first party support and this might be a misconception by me, but the majority of the Apple fanbase don't seem like gamers...

Again, this could be a misconception on my part, but iphones users and the early ipod adopters where all technophiles... kinda like a portion of PS3 owners who own the console to show off their HDTV's.

So I really think an Apple console would do horrible..

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

i wouldnt buy it, i hate apple...

RED53DEVILS said:

My question to you is if they venture now into the gaming market when they have a huge fan base for their products,will they be successful?

I don't think they could capture major share, but perhaps they might bring in some unique gaming experience if so.

Honestly I can't imagine anything what could it be, they are masters of user experience and aesthetics, and this just doesn't allign well with games, I suppose.

It really depends on what the apple console has to offer and how the price of the console would pertain to everyone. You never know, Apple could have a chance in the console generation.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Around the Network

i wouldnt think it would do well, but u never know.

it might at least do xbox status, but with 4 consoles on the market, i highly doubt it.

There are high barriers to market entry, limited synergies with existing products, and an already crowded market.

Those are recipes for failure.

If there were only two game-makers -- for example if Nintendo had dropped out like everyone thought they should after the Game Cube and become just a software and handheld maker -- then they might have a chance.

But the market has never been able to support more than three competing consoles at any one time. So you don't want to be No. 4.

To answer the original question -- it would sell more than the Pippin but less than the Dreamcast (10.6M).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I don't think they will enter home console market again unless a company exited it. They will probably just make tons of money from their ipod touch/iphone game downloads. They know that is where they can make money and if they entered the home console market with Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft already in it they would fail.

mike_intellivision said:
There are high barriers to market entry, limited synergies with existing products, and an already crowded market.

Those are recipes for failure.

If there were only two game-makers -- for example if Nintendo had dropped out like everyone thought they should after the Game Cube and become just a software and handheld maker -- then they might have a chance.

But the market has never been able to support more than three competing consoles at any one time. So you don't want to be No. 4.

To answer the original question -- it would sell more than the Pippin but less than the Dreamcast (10.6M).

Mike from Morgantown

This.

The barriers to entry are really high. You either need a talented pool of 1st party developers or a massive pile of cash to throw at 3rd parties for exclusives and ports. Apple certainly doesn't have the former, and they don't want to play the "throwing money around" game with Microsoft (who does?).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Next I'll create a topic titled "How much would a Coca Cola console sell?".