By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony PSP 2 Graphics Processor Revealed?

A British company may have won the contract to design and build the next-generation graphics processor for the PSP2. Imagination Technologies Group announced in a press release this week that the company has signed a license agreement with a new partner, “a major consumer electronics company.” Industry sources say that the partner is almost certainly Sony, and that the SGX55x graphics chip will be used in the upcoming PSP2. The secrecy on the part of Imagination Technologies makes sense, because Sony is understandably unwilling to announce its plans for a PSP successor just yet. Imagination's PowerVR MBX chip is already being used in the Apple iPhone, so Sony finds itself in good company with this manufacturer.

The SGX55x chip promises to be much more powerful than what is currently found in the PSP. At the moment, the PSP uses a proprietary GPU designed by Sony that is very similar to the older graphics processor in the PS2.

PSP GPU Specifications:
166 mhz core speed
2 MB VRAM
Up to 33 million polygons per second
664 million pixels per second (fill rate)
PowerVR SGX530 Specifications:
200 MHz Core Speed
13.5 million polygons per second
1200 million pixels per second (fill rate)
DirectX 9 Shader Model 3 support / OpenGL 2.0
128-bit color precision
Multi-sampling and anti-aliasing

Note that the specifications above are for the current generation SGX530. The SGX55x, which is still in development, is expected to be much more powerful. With unified shader architecture and OpenGL 2.0 support, we expect the next-generation PSP GPU to be somewhat in-line with the graphics capabilities of the RSX chip currently found in the PS3, just on a smaller scale. Two images below are taken from recent technical demonstrations by Imagination Technologies. These images show what the pixel shaders in the SGX GPU can do to add realism and effects to 3D games.

Image from Imagination Technologies, showing HDR lighting and other features in a demo of the SGX graphics chip.

Image from Imagination Technologies, showing specular bump mapping in a demo of the SGX graphics chip.

Image from Imagination Technologies showing post-processing techniques in the SGX graphics chip.

http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/accessories/sony-psp-2-graphics-processor-revealed-009549.php

Around the Network

Well, firstly nothing could possible touch the RSX unless it is made by ATI (AMD) or Nvidia. If there was a GPU that matched a midrange desktop 7xxx, it would be being sold for the desktop market.

@Soleron: I think it was about the effects the chip is capable of producing.
Also notice that the talk was about OpenGL 2.0, when the desktop versions would support 3.0. Yes, the tech in the consoles is already dated.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

we really badly need high def graphics on a 5 inch screen.... that is why the PSP is pounding the DS as we speak....

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Problem is how much will it cost..

Around the Network
Hephaestos said:
we really badly need high def graphics on a 5 inch screen.... that is why the PSP is pounding the DS as we speak....

Having the absolute best-performing and most expensive console turned things around for Sony for the home console market too: just look at how much better PS3 is selling than PS2!

Almost same as PS3. So it is going to be expensive. Hope not more than $350. Well PSP graphic also slightly worse than PS2.

Hmmm you know what we say in french? "Il n'y a pas de fumée sans feu" which could be translated by "there is no smoke without fire". I guess that the next psp might come earlier than expected, we'll probably grab news at the next E3. Maybe a prototype will be shown too!

No matter what any of you guys say, personally i prefere good graphics to shit ugly graphics. (I make graphics myself, coincitentially on a outdated engine) In either case i think it'll be awesome if the psp2 has some epic machinery. I'll deffo grab one :)

Check out my game about moles ^

Yeah, I'm sure *more* processing power will fix the PSP2. More expensive, more power consumption, shorter battery life, more load times (as more RAM/textures/etc needed), games longer to develop...

Awesome :P

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099