By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - List of big games for 2008 - Previous thread follow up!

I created the following thread sometime in May.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=25912

In it we all had a say about which games 2008 games deserved some hype and were considered "BIG" releases.

Now that the dust has settled, lets see how these games performed, if we missed any big games and your thoughts on 2008 overall. Keep in mind, some big games came out before this thread was created so Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, DMC4, GTA4 are not on the lsit for that reason.

I will put my thoughts next to some games that I got to play...feel free to do the same for the ones you had the pleasure of playing

Alone in the Dark - complete failure commercially and gameplay wise. Brilliant ideas, terrible execution
Banjo-Kazooie 3
Battlefield: Bad Company
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Dead Space
Fable 2
Far Cry 2
Fallout 3
Fatal Frame lV
Gears of War 2-
Exceeded expectations on every level
Ghostbusters: The Video Game - Delayed
Haze - Big failure considerign the hype and previoous work by developer
Halo Wars - Delayed
Left 4 Dead - Critical success, sales yet to be seen
LittleBigPlanet
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots -
Succeeded in successfully closing the Snake saga, getting crittical acclaim and sales aspect.
Motorstorm 2 - commercial flop
Ninja Gaiden II - met expectations of the hardcore fans of the first one awaiting the sequel, sold well
Project Origin - Delayed till 2009
Red Alert 3
Resistance 2
Saints Row 2
Silent Hill: Homecoming -
Exceeded expectations since expectations were very low due to American team doing the development
Sonic Unleashed - Step in the right direction for sonic. Best Sonic game since 2002
Soulcalibur IV
SPORE -
Dissapointment considering the hype
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Critial faliure but massive sales
Starcraft 2 - Delayed
Street Fighter 4 - Delayed
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Tales of Vesperia
Tekken 6 -
Delayed
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction - Delayed
Too Human -
complete falure considering the budget and development cycle time
Valkryia Chronicles - Critically acclaimed but most likely a commercial flop
Wii Fit - Huge success, expanding the gaming market.

Around the Network

Alone in the Dark - not what i was expecting demo was enough for me, might do ok in long run in sales
Banjo-Kazooie 3 - garbage, expecting a platform game and u get a lego game
Battlefield: Bad Company - great game offline and online but parts of it were frustrating in single player
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Dead Space - demo was ok, but il give it a miss, might pick up later
Fable 2 - played at kiosk, a huge franchise, but a very very short game for an rpg
Far Cry 2 - fail purchase for me, was to slow and boring im glad ive got shut of it
Fallout 3
Fatal Frame lV
Gears of War 2
- more of the same which is good, but only 5 player matches
Ghostbusters: The Video Game - Delayed
Haze - Big dissapointment and a fail purchase for me, even more so considering dev pedigree
Halo Wars - Delayed
Left 4 Dead - boring in single player, will end up good game as multi, should sell ok
LittleBigPlanet - one of the best games released thus far, 10/10 should sell very well over time
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames - ok single player good grafix, but to much samey action
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - the most technically stunning game released so far on any platform, huge replayability and comes with a free online game to boot. fantastic story 10/10
Motorstorm 2 - great sequel to a great orig game, will sell well over time
Ninja Gaiden II - glad i traded my copy back in another fail purchase, had game breaking flaws, previous NG games far superior, sold well though
Project Origin - Delayed till 2009
Red Alert 3
Resistance 2
- will have this this week CANT WAIT
Saints Row 2 - im enjoying this game its fun and overall better than gta4 imo
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Sonic Unleashed -
Soulcalibur IV
- good solid fighting game, to bad there wasnt much story in the tower modes
SPORE -
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - good game good sales

Starcraft 2 - Delayed
Street Fighter 4 - Delayed
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Tales of Vesperia
Tekken 6 - Delayed
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
- Delayed
Too Human - complete falure 10 years in the making for 10 hours worth of dribble
Valkryia Chronicles - Critically acclaimed one of the best rpg released so far, superb grafix and gameplay, should sell well enough compared to other games in its genre

Wii Fit - id rather goto gym

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...