By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Plasma TV gamers please glance =)

stephen700 said:
1080P is the most important factor aand standard feature any new display should have it above all else. !

you will want 1090P eventually the image on my 24 inch 1080P Dell monitor is awesone for games and movies - the detail is outstanding.

Lag is no issue on new LCD's. and Burn in no issue on new plasmas.
Brighter (LCD) is generally better unless you allways plan to watch in a dark room ?
New LCD's are dark enough and exceed the signal dynamic range of VGA or HDMI signals available anyway and have better color than plasma. LCD is more reliable lighter and typically lower power usage.

I'm fairly sure that on a 24 inch set, the difference between 1080p and 720p is indistinguishable to the human eye, all the way up to 32" sets.

Or so I hear.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

Go with an LCD HDTV if you can.

I don't know how many people get sucked into buying this dieing tech. Do not do it, you will regret it! They are good for films and HD TV, that's where it stops. If Plasmas were so good as monitors, why are there none?

LCD has finally caught up and is better for gaming. Then there is Orgenic LED which is light years ahead in every way and being released in full force soon.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

1080P is even good on a 15.4 inch laptop screen ! - the 24 inch is great at 1080p - anyting lower looks like lo-res to me the sharpness and detail of a 1080P display is very usefull even at 15.4 inches.

It's simpe the closer you sit the higher resolution yoou need or can use - for 1080P you need to be closer than 2X times the width of the screen away any futher and you probably wont really benefit.

A Larger screen simply means you can sit further back and still fully benefit from higher resolution like 1080P.

For the maximum immersive feel everyone wants to site close up so you will notice that 720P sux as soon as you want to do this.

PS3 number 1 fan

ZenfoldorVGI said:
stephen700 said:
1080P is the most important factor aand standard feature any new display should have it above all else. !

you will want 1090P eventually the image on my 24 inch 1080P Dell monitor is awesone for games and movies - the detail is outstanding.

Lag is no issue on new LCD's. and Burn in no issue on new plasmas.
Brighter (LCD) is generally better unless you allways plan to watch in a dark room ?
New LCD's are dark enough and exceed the signal dynamic range of VGA or HDMI signals available anyway and have better color than plasma. LCD is more reliable lighter and typically lower power usage.

I'm fairly sure that on a 24 inch set, the difference between 1080p and 720p is indistinguishable to the human eye, all the way up to 32" sets.

Or so I hear.

You can see the difference if you are sitting closer than 4 feet :)

For anyone who is interested here is a graph of viewing distances and screen sizes.

Around the Network
HanzoTheRazor said:
I don't know how many people get sucked into buying this dieing tech. Do not do it, you will regret it! They are good for films and HD TV, that's where it stops. If Plasmas were so good as monitors, why are there none?

LCD has finally caught up and is better for gaming. Then there is Orgenic LED which is light years ahead in every way and being released in full force soon.

Plasmas are not cost effective for < 42" which is why they don't exist.  I do think that plasma will disappear in 10 years but that doesn't change the capabilities of the products available today.

Organic LEDs will probably become the standard but it will take a few years before they are cost effective.  The OP is looking at entry level name brands.  If we are throwing leading edge tech into the mix then his bugdet will need to grow by at least $500 - $1000 or he could consider 50+" panels.