By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - do you think gaming business is going to die?

i have bad feeling about the gaming business and i heard only 20% of video games are profitable. I think we might be seeing our last next gen consoles (at least from ps3 and 360)

Around the Network

don't be such a pessimist. The movie and music industries would be dead too if that was the case

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Wait, so its gone from 4% to 20%?

Right....I think its time we stop listening to those kinds of articles.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

The gaming business is never going to die.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Blasphemy this is like making a thread and asking "Is Chuck Norris going to die one day" that answer is obviously NOOOOOO

Around the Network
Shadowblind said:

Wait, so its gone from 4% to 20%?

Right....I think its time we stop listening to those kinds of articles.

20% of the game projects who end up on the shelves make a profit. If you include game projects that don't end up on the shelves it is 4%.

Anyway I would like to know how much of movies make a profit.

I'm willing to bet 50 bucks there will be an 8th gen.

4 ≈ One

We had a big discussion on this many many months ago go titled "has the Wii prevented a market collapse?"
We came to the conclusion that the Wii had possibly prevented a market collapse, and that the market would be overall profitable because of thje Wii- as long as devs got their head together and started supporting the lead platform, which still hasn't really happened.

A large number of titles are a wash, from the profits/loss perspective. I'd say that the 20% that turn a decent profit just barely make up for the 50% that show a small loss (or worse). The mega-hits make a HUGE difference in this model. One megahit's profits can offset an entire quarter of 10-20 projects posting a loss.

Games development houses sprout up like weeds (every schmo thinks they know how to make the world's greatest videogame), and flop like pancakes (not very many groups of people can actually pull off making a good videogame), for the same reasons.

A good half (or more) games projects never seen the light of day... or the neon light of the store shelf, as it were.  Publishers can projects like crazy when they get worried.  In my experience, the canning of projects isn't always well thought out.  They often happen after mergers or acquisitions, due to tax benefits, and are often based on very high-level broad market analysis and trends.  The games industry is run by businessmen, not artists, and certainly not gamers.

The gaming industry is beginning to explode. Its only goin to get more profitable from here a lot more profitable.