By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bill Gates in fantasy land.

Bill Gates in Fantasyland...when does this game come out?

Around the Network
Lingyis said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA

but hey, he's good at what he does, and that's coding. he's no steve jobs, but he's still the #2 richest man on earth.

for microsoft's sake, thank goodness he won't have any involvment with them in another year.

other than being their largest shareholder.

He has a lot more money and his company is much more dominant than Steve Jobs company is, so yes, I guess you could say he's no Steve Jobs.

As for the comment, I'm sure he's aware of Sony's interests and it was just a brain fart. 

Maverick Hunter Z said:
*Siren goes off in Xbox head office. 16 firetrucks full of lawyers and PR Reps are sent flying out onto the streets to begin damage control.*

Somehow I doubt you own a 360.

Anyway, what was a lot crazier is when he said that he wants to make a game console that has you waving a tennis racket to play tennis in the game...........

Apparently he forgot about the Wii's existance.

I think that was a lot more ridiculous than this statement.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

IcingDeathWrath said:
Actually hes from mexico.

"THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!!!"

But back to the fact.  Bill Gates stretches the truth, he disregards competing products, etc.  He's a company fingure head. What company spokesperson doesn't do the same thing?  I know Steve Jobs does.  As for BASIC, Bill Gates is pretty much responsible for the language so I suppose that's why he's a fan of it .

allstarr35 said:
When did Bill Gates become the number 2 richest person on Earth

Carlos Slim became the worlds richest man last month. He owns most of the telecom industry in Mexico and large parts of south america.

Around the Network
Saiyar said:
allstarr35 said:
When did Bill Gates become the number 2 richest person on Earth

Carlos Slim became the worlds richest man last month. He owns most of the telecom industry in Mexico and large parts of south america.

Billy (think I can call him billy?) also gave away half his money awhile back starting his non profit philanthropy thingy...so you could say he helped dethrone himself.

edit: Also, you don't have to like the guy, but he's undeniably intelligent.  I don't see him just making things up like this so I agree that it was most likely supposed to be Nintendo he was talking about, and not Sony. 

Kytiara said:

edit: Also, you don't have to like the guy, but he's undeniably intelligent. I don't see him jut making things up like this so I agree that it was most likely supposed to be Nintendo he was talking about, and not Sony.

No, I'd say he meant Sony. Microsoft and Bill Gates have been remarkably pre-occupied with Sony for years, as you'd hear in a multitude of interviews. They basically intended Xbox as a method to stave off what they thought would end up as Sony's dominance of home computing through Playstation. Microsoft only mentions Nintendo when people question him about them, and then only to say either how silly, minor, irrelavent and niche their products are, or how they'd like to buy them if they could.

Killzone3 said:

http://news.spong.com/article/13339?cb=736

"hey we're not a one-product company. Many of our competitors were one-product companies. Now they're not one-product companies, but Sony's just in video games, Nokia's largely just in mobile phones, IBM's largely in enterprise type software situations"

Really, TVs cameras motion pictures music thats Sony you nutcase.

Microsoft is the most one-dimentional company in the console war right now. Nintendo may just do video games, but they have their roots in creating many different types of quality software. Microsoft has two pieces of software tied together keeping it afloat. Everything else at Microsoft is an anchor.

Gates is confused because he doesn't understand why competition keeps beating Microsoft whenever there is credible competition. Why are Nintendo and Sony beating us for profitability in games? Why is google beating us in every conceivable way for search? Why is beating us? It's very disorienting to be bludgeoned about the head and shoulders every time you enter a market with competition.

It seems there is a lot of confusion about who Gates is and what he does. Gates is not some brilliant coder. He sold DoS to IBM before buying it from the person who wrote it for a tiny fraction of what it was worth. MS made a deal with IBM to sell the operating system for most of their hardware without even having written anything yet. Then, MS stole Apple's GUI after Apple stole the IP from Xerox.  Since Windows got a stranglehold on the market, there has been no way for competition to make 100% compatible software (MS sees to that) and competition is always at the mercy of Microsoft to release Office on their platform.  Office could easily be duplicated, but 100% compatibility would be absolutely necessary and Microsoft makes sure that is impossible.  Gates is ruthless, and he has been in the right place at the right time, but he's no coder.

You could more accurately describe him as a Ivy-League University failure who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

The thing is, when ever critisizing Bill Gates for how he's achieved what he's achieved, they are in fact very bad means to a very good end, and I think it's worth remembering.

The money he's now putting into relieving povert and helping others develop around the world is  impressive, wonderful, and hardly ever replicated. It's too bad awful things have been done along the way.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be critisized, but when talking about him in general terms we should talk about everything.

As for Microsoft itself, I think they mostly deserve every bit of negative attention they get. Too many times have they broken a million laws domineering everything they can and still been considered a reputable company. To many times have they brashly entered an industry, copied all their competitors, failed, lost billions of dollars, and still been considered geniuses. Too many times have they seemed to offer the olive branch only for us to feel their EEE policy (embrace, extend, extinguish). Oh well.

Legend11 said:
MikeB said:
'No one will need more than 637Kb of memory for a personal computer' - Bill Gates, 1981.

Actually Bill Gates has gone on record saying he never said that quote. What's strange is that it's all over the Internet but it can never be attributed to a speech or interview he did.

And even if he DID say it, with the appropriate coding, he'd be right. 

Of course, problem is, to code all the programs and games you'd ever want to run via 637 kb of memory, it'd require a few billion dollars that nobody wants to spend. 

SW-5120-1900-6153