By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Suda not directing No More Heroes 2, reason behind "Desperate Struggle"

http://tinycartridge.com/post/59870380/suda-not-directing-nmh-2

Game designer and Grasshopper Manufacture president Goichi Suda (Suda 51) says that the assistant director for the first No More Heroes game, Toshihiro Fujikawa, will direct No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle.

Speaking with Nintendo Power, Suda revealed that he’ll once again write the sequel’s script, but will “watch over the game as an executive director” this time around.

Fujikawa has previously served as the assistant director for several other Grasshopper titles, such as Samurai Champloo and Killer7.

Suda explained the Desperate Struggle subtitle:

“There’s a word in Japanese — shito. Shi means ‘death,’ and to means ‘fight.’ When I tried to find an English translation on the Internet, it came up with Desperate Struggle.”

He also shared some hints on NMH 2’s story:

“This time, Travis [Touchdown] is looking for revenge. It’s a serious fight this time, and the word shito reflects that.

There’s a series of Japanese movies called Jingi Naki Tatakai that are about the yakuza. They’re really famous in Japan — sort of the equivalent of The Godfather. They focus on the relationships between members of the Yakuza.

The subtitle for the second one is Hiroshima Shito Hen. That roughly translates to The Desperate Struggle of Hiroshima. Inspired by that, I wanted No More Heroes 2 to be The Desperate Struggle of Santa Destroy.

There’s a really intense fight in Hiroshima Shito Hen, and I wanted to sort of recreate that in No More Heroes 2.”

XSEED Games and Marvelous Interactive are slated to co-publish No More Heroes 2 stateside in January 2010.

Around the Network

OLD?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Well we know the script will be flawless...

yushire said:
OLD?

So it is. Still, I can't recall seeing it anywhere before. If someone posted it already, er...sorry.

It's new to me thank you!

Around the Network

as long as he is writing the story its cool, suda probably still has final say in what the game will be like, and the assistant cant be that bad since he worked on killer 7 and no more heroes.

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

It's like when Miyamoto passed Ocarina down to his 2nd in command but still stuck around to make sure it kicked ass... nobody had any complaints.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
It's like when Miyamoto passed Ocarina down to his 2nd in command but still stuck around to make sure it kicked ass... nobody had any complaints.

Considering the first child of that move was Majora's Mask, I don't think anyone has any right to, either.

As to this game, Suda's not being the director anymore probably won't be too big a deal. He's done the outlining already, and the system is already in place. It's just a matter of tweaking, and filling in the details. Things will be fine.

Still gonna be brutal.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Just so long as it's a deeper overall experience than No More Heroes 1 was, I'll be happy. I'd also like to see a major graphical improvement since the first game really wasn't pushing any technical boundaries on the Wii.