By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart Wii Online score - What the hell?!

I've been playing mario Kart wii on Wi fi for some long time and I love it. It is fun, if yet a bit frustrating ;P to play with people around (specially since any of my friends like Mario Kart XD) but my only concern is the score system. It doesn't make any sense:

• Sometimes I get in 1st place but in the score table I appear in 2d or 3d?!
  • I get in first, second or thrid place but they take me away points!?
  • also sometimes I arrive in 4t or 5t place and give more points than the first player o_O

Does any one understand the score system? I would like an explanation. The game is great except for that.

Around the Network

Yes that happens because the point system is based on your points vs the avg.

So if your 7000 rank and all the players in the game are 4500-5500 you will loose points for anything but first i would think . Because your so far above the AVG player score you will need to come in a good placing to sustain or gain a few points.

Where as you said you came 4th and got more points than first. Could happen in a game where all / most of the players are scored higher than you but a fair amount ( 1000+ points ) and you come in 4th . and the guy that came in first is prolly around the avg for points in the game.

kind of hard to understand but yea.

bascially mario kart was design to encourage ppl who aren't that good to keep playing. yeh its stupid, but nintendo does stupid things like that all da time.

Instance56 said:
Yes that happens because the point system is based on your points vs the avg.

So if your 7000 rank and all the players in the game are 4500-5500 you will loose points for anything but first i would think . Because your so far above the AVG player score you will need to come in a good placing to sustain or gain a few points.

Where as you said you came 4th and got more points than first. Could happen in a game where all / most of the players are scored higher than you but a fair amount ( 1000+ points ) and you come in 4th . and the guy that came in first is prolly around the avg for points in the game.

kind of hard to understand but yea.

OOh I get it. It makes more sense now.

and it sucks x_X

better keep`playing and ignore the system then XD

RolStoppable said:

1. Lag can cause the discrepancy between what you see happening (finishing first) and what actually happened (you finished second).

that explains the weird shells that shoudnd't hit and thet do XD

2. I've never got docked points for finishing first, but if your score is above 9.000 it's common that you receive from +5 to -5 points for a second place finish. The higher your score, the better you have to be in the races to increase your score further.

3. This happens when the player finishing first already has a high score, so he barely gets points for winning. If you finish fourth while having around 6.000 points, it's entirely possible that you receive more points than the winner of the race. The lower your score, the more points you get for a good result.

Oh I see.

In the end the things that influence how many points you get, are:

1. Your current score. As a general rule, above 9k requires victories to increase your total points, second places keep you even. Above 8k requires first and second places, third places keep you even. And so on.

2. Number of players participating in the race. The more players, the more points you can win or lose. For example your score is 6k and you finish fourth in a ten player race, you receive a few points. However, if you finish fourth in a six player race, you lose a few points.

Yeah I noticed that. It's more stressing when there are only 4 players because of that.

Thanks! ^^

Around the Network

If you ask me, this ladder system reminds me of the old WoW PvP ranking system: To keep your rank, you must fight and win enough battles in a week to sustain your rank, hence many people ended up playing god knows how many hours a day!

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

KylieDog said:
It's like you get punished for being good.

Its more like if you want to keep your ranking, you have to keep proving you deserve it.

Though I am not a big boxing fan, I think their ranking system works pretty similar. Its not just wins and losses that count, but who you won or lost to.  Beating someone who is in the middle of the rankings is huge to a newcomer, but worthless to the champ.

KylieDog said:
It's like you get punished for being good.

That makes no sense. You always end up with a better score when you place better in a race, so how good you are is directly related to your score. Why should you get as many points for beating a noob as you do for beating a pro? And doesn't it make sense that you should lose more points if you lose to a decent player like me than if you lose to a Mario Kart God like Rol?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.