8 parallel vertex pipelines
10 floating-point operations per pipeline, per cycle
27 * 24 * 550 = 356.4 GFlops
10 * 8 * 550 = 44 GFlops
PS3 total = 400.4 GFlops
There are claims of 1.8 TFlops.

Xenos:
500 MHz
Unified memory (10 MiB daughter DRAM embedded in 65nm process)
48-way parallel floating-point dynamically-scheduled shader pipelines
232 million transistors
Unified shading architecture (each pipeline is capable of running either pixel or vertex shaders)
10 floating-points per pipeline per cycle
10 * 48 * 500 = 240 GFlops
X360 total = 240 GFlops
There are claims of 1 TFlop.

X360 is far easier to work but in terms of raw processing data RSX is unmatched. 

Around the Network
BrayanA said:
Reasonable said:
BrayanA said:
I wrote this before:
"Most important part for high graphic games is GPU. 360 GPU > PS3 GPU. Not by far, but still better for most of the graphical operations. Cell is cell, but without strong GPU even Core 2 Quad Extreme is useless. Don't get me wrong. You still need strong CPU for great physics, A.I., etc.

If you optimize for 360 GPU, when porting to less powerfull PS3 GPU you need to sacrifice something (framerate, resolution, etc) to make things to run or to downgrade it visuals."

PS3 can't win a round, cos this comparisons are based on graphics. PS3 wins in pop-ins and load times (not GPU related) , but loose in resolution, framerate and screen tearing (GPU related). With NXE PS3 will loose most of its advantages, cos now xbox users can install games if they want. This will make pop-ins and load times nearly same on both platforms.

True.  Also, it's clear that most ports so far (and multiplats) don't spend time/money to fundamentally change code to leverage SPEs in conjunction to GPU on the PS3.

The easy route is to keep the core code as much as possible during the port then optimize where possible while trying to find a balance in minimising something else (resolution, texture quality, etc).

The simply fact is that unless PS3 gets far enough ahead to force developers to need to exploit the machine fully they won't if they can achieve a good enough match to 360 versions to get decent sales - and that point has been reached already IMHO.  Most multiplats now look almost identical with only a few differences (normally in favour of 360) and the developers know this is good enough for the moment.

It's going to be down to Sony exclusive games to show if you really can code to use SPE's in conjunction with CPU/GPU to deliver graphics beyond that capable of 360 (please not I'm not saying it can, just that I don't believe any multiplatform games are going to even try while 360 is ahead WW so its down to exclusives to show the difference if it really exists).

I don't think there will be exclusive games that will blow away the competitors.

Fanboys will push their systems exclusive games as "Nothing like any game on platform X", but the true is that PS3 and 360 are close to each other as HW possibilities. It will be more like art style and design battle, then real graphical outstrip. Because of this there will be no real winner. Yes, 360 will keep winning in multiplats due to stronger GPU, but will go no further then a few more pixels or frames. Art style and design is something that is very personal. For example many PS3 owners praise Uncharted as best looking PS3 game, but I can't stand its plastic look. IMO Resistance 2 is looking much better then Uncharted. Do you get the point?

Did you get mine?  I'm not sure reading your response but maybe I'm wrong.  As for art style its crucial but also a matter of opinion so isn't something you can lock down.  Right now I think LBP has the best art style of any game this gen (on any console).  I just love the look of it.  It credits 'level' at the beginning I think shows more artistic style than most games entire efforts.

BTW I agree on Uncharted to a degree - it looked fantastic but they took the 'watery shine' a little too far at times.  RFOM2 I haven't got yet but will.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

BrayanA said:
I wrote this before:
"Most important part for high graphic games is GPU. 360 GPU > PS3 GPU. Not by far, but still better for most of the graphical operations. Cell is cell, but without strong GPU even Core 2 Quad Extreme is useless. Don't get me wrong. You still need strong CPU for great physics, A.I., etc.

If you optimize for 360 GPU, when porting to less powerfull PS3 GPU you need to sacrifice something (framerate, resolution, etc) to make things to run or to downgrade it visuals."

PS3 can't win a round, cos this comparisons are based on graphics. PS3 wins in pop-ins and load times (not GPU related) , but loose in resolution, framerate and screen tearing (GPU related). With NXE PS3 will loose most of its advantages, cos now xbox users can install games if they want. This will make pop-ins and load times nearly same on both platforms.

Well said.

A good processor is nothing without a good video card.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8