By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Picking up a Blu-ray player at a great price? Thank the PS3.

Ender said:
So the point of this thread is the ps3 reduced the cost of players overall? That's not a shocker.

You're right.  Not a shocker to some people.  Others, however, don't understand the concepts of mass production and economy of scale.  It's these people that can't wrap their heads around the idea that Sony put the BD drive into the PS3 for reasons other than gaming and didn't apparently care about sacrificing gaming market share.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Around the Network
dougsdad0629 said:
Hawkeye said:
Did Sony anticipate this economic collapse? Imo their plan blew up in their face and they are screwed. Blu prices are going down because people aren't buying- monery is tighter, so they are much less willing to pay more money to get a better picture quality when what they have works fine. If Blu players stayed $300-$500 this Xmas, the format would virtually die. Prices are falling to as low as $180- this is an attempt to get people to buy it. Retailers have stated that if Blu Ray does extremely poorly this holiday, they will drop it/ scale back. Blu ray isn't on its last leg or anything, but its make or break time.

Apparently, you didn't read the column found at the link I provided.  Blu-ray is doing very well.  Better than DVD at the same point in its life span.  The lower prices have nothing to do with the economy.  It's all about economy of scale.  The fact that there are budget models from brands like Insignia means that the drives themselves have become cheap enough and economical enough to warrant the production of these entry level players.  The home video market has leveled off and become stagnant the last several years.  Blu-ray is successfully bringing about the growth in the market that the studios had always hoped it would.

I did read the "column" (blog) you posted. I disagreed and was refuting it. What I posted is pretty much from the Wall Street Journal. I have read several articles in the Journal that say the same thing I did. I didn't cite them because I don't have any quotes, I am just posting the main point that I remember from the article. 

It is true that Economies of Scale will help Blu Ray- prices fall. However, retailers are pressuring manufactureres to cut prices more than they would like. Blu Ray will be very profitable if it takes off, but the ailing economy may destroy its chances.

I am not biased for/against Blu Ray. I just like thinking about the future and predicting what will happpen. I was planning on buying a PS3 for games and Blu Ray until the crappy economy made me realize that 1. I may not have the money 2. PS3 may crash and burn (or get a downward spiral) and 3. Blu Ray might not take off even as a high end coexistant DVD due to the economy.

Kasz216 said:
dougsdad0629 said:
Kasz216 said:
dougsdad0629 said:
Hawkeye said:
Did Sony anticipate this economic collapse? Imo their plan blew up in their face and they are screwed. Blu prices are going down because people aren't buying- monery is tighter, so they are much less willing to pay more money to get a better picture quality when what they have works fine. If Blu players stayed $300-$500 this Xmas, the format would virtually die. Prices are falling to as low as $180- this is an attempt to get people to buy it. Retailers have stated that if Blu Ray does extremely poorly this holiday, they will drop it/ scale back. Blu ray isn't on its last leg or anything, but its make or break time.

Apparently, you didn't read the column found at the link I provided.  Blu-ray is doing very well.  Better than DVD at the same point in its life span.  The lower prices have nothing to do with the economy.  It's all about economy of scale.  The fact that there are budget models from brands like Insignia means that the drives themselves have become cheap enough and economical enough to warrant the production of these entry level players.  The home video market has leveled off and become stagnant the last several years.  Blu-ray is successfully bringing about the growth in the market that the studios had always hoped it would.

That column is a straight lie.  In fact it's not even sayign blu-ray is going to do good.  It just says it's going to "hang on."

When it comes to disc sales blu-ray is MILES behind DVD during the same time period.

Considering the vast slowing of blu-ray adoption and Sony cutting it's own blu-ray forecasts drastically (which were behind DVD in the first place....)

Pretty much shows that Blu-ray isn't a predestined replacement.

Sure, neither i digital download.

It may just be that DVD stays the champ for a while.

Just how Laserdisc never put away VHS.

With all due respect, where is the evidence in your accusation of the column being a lie?  Bill Hunt has countless industry contacts at all of the studios and throughout the industry as a whole.  Again, with all due respect, he knows a hell of a lot more than you do.  Just because you say it's a lie or choose not to believe it, doesn't make it so.

Because DVD is way ahead of Blu-ray when it comes to discs sold.

One of the things he uses is "First to a million"

When the movie industry has VASTLY INCREASED under DVD.

The fact that Blu-ray has sold less total discs number wise compared to DVD during this timeframe, despite their being an expanded audience is extremely telling.

Blu-ray ain't dead.... but it ain't doing great.

Look at Sony themselves... even they can't PR speak around it lately.

Sure the industry wants it to succeed that's why they've been pushing such a propaganda wave at people to get them to think Blu-ray was doing great... however looking at the numbers... even when it was "adopting faster then Blu-ray" it wasn't.

Blu-ray is in for some seriously rocky times with the economic troubles,a nd has to hope to ride them out and hope nothing more functional with more features comes out and laserdiscs them.

Entertainment is fairly recession proof, but i think you'll find that it tends to shift a bit.  People would rather buy more movies then a Blu-ray player.  Smaller entertainment that offers value will win out.

In truly economicly hard times, people aren't even choosing between 15 DVDs or 1 Blu Player nad 5 BDs, they are choosing between 3 $5 DVDs and a nice meal or Blu Ray Discs and crappy meatloaf. Over the next couple years, people aren't going to be willing to pay much for better picture quality for their entertaintment when they have to keep up on house payments.

I don't want to get into this to much, but the PS3 is the BR warrior.

The PS3 took Blu-ray on its shoulders and scraficed itself for a bigger cause.

The PS3 is the reason Blu-ray won.

The PS3 is the reason the prices on players is dropping so rapidy.

The PS3 is the best Blu-ray player on the market.

Anyone buying a Blu-ray player besides PS3 is blowing their money. Even if they don't want games, no other player is as usefull as the PS3. It is amoungst the best picture wise on Blu-ray and DVD. It offers a video download service, and a built in web browser. No other Blu-ray player matches the PS3 in features outside of gaming no matter what you pay for it.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Has any format hung on and played second fiddle for a length of time.

I remember VHS and Betamax battled for a while but cant remember any other major format wars that lasted.

CD replaced Vinyl pretty quickly and VHS gave way to DVD in similar quick time but both arenas, music and video, were desperate for change.

I dont see the DVD vs Blu Ray battle being the same. DVDs offer 90 percent what Blu Ray offers for the average consumer and most either cant tell (my mothers eyesight really is shocking) or dont care.

So my question is can Blu Ray be viable as a rich mans hobby with a consistent devoted following of 15 to 20 percent of sales and a limited selection of high volume mainstream movies.

Around the Network

DD will win in the the end and that's a fact. I can bet within three years DD will triple in sales. BR life won't be as long as DVD or VHS.

Cypher1980 said:
Has any format hung on and played second fiddle for a length of time.

I remember VHS and Betamax battled for a while but cant remember any other major format wars that lasted.

CD replaced Vinyl pretty quickly and VHS gave way to DVD in similar quick time but both arenas, music and video, were desperate for change.

I dont see the DVD vs Blu Ray battle being the same. DVDs offer 90 percent what Blu Ray offers for the average consumer and most either cant tell (my mothers eyesight really is shocking) or dont care.

So my question is can Blu Ray be viable as a rich mans hobby with a consistent devoted following of 15 to 20 percent of sales and a limited selection of high volume mainstream movies.

Laserdisc actually hung on for a good while until DVD finally put it away.  Only videofiles got it but still.